addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

VeloDCity: a Washington Area Bicycling Group Message Board › Cycling in Copenhagen

Cycling in Copenhagen

Stephen_N
j_s_nightingale
Germantown, MD
Post #: 315

Wendy just sent this link round extolling the virtues of cycling in Copenhagen.
StreetFilms. It's good, but the underlying point is everybody's right to use the road, no matter what form of transportation they use.

I was just in Sri Lanka. They make no special provision for bicycles, and there is a total attitude of "my" progress down the road is more sacred than anybody else's. BUT everybody is on the roads, everybody is entitled to be there and everybody is expected to be there, and accommodated moment-by-moment. This includes buses and trucks, cars, motorcycles, bikes, pedestrians, dogs, cows and the occasional elephant. There are mad, gridlocky moments where you have to pick your way carefully, mindful of all the above hazards, and plain sailing in many other places. In three weeks of bike riding I never saw an accident, and felt far safer there jostling with all that traffic mix than I do routinely in a DC suburban rush hour.

The moral of the story is that you don't even have to make special provision for bicycles. That everybody recognizes the right of everybody to be there, and expects them to be there.

Cheers,

Stephen.
PaulB
pbastek
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 10
I lived in Copenhagen, '65-'69, and back then there were bike lanes separated by curbs between the road and the side walk. Major intersections had separate stoplights for bikes and cars. We can do that here too... just put a 100% tax on cars like Denmark did.