Verge Message Board › Something Startups Can Learn from Small Business

Something Startups Can Learn from Small Business

Matt H.
hunckler
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Funny story...
Before I worked on any high-growth tech startups, I owned a small business. But I didn't know that the skills I learned growing that little company would give me a leg up in the tech world.
One of the habits I formed early on was hand writing thank-you notes that I'd send as a follow up to new clients, referral partners, and even service companies that I hired.
This one strategy helped me take my business, which was barely getting by, and got it performing like the Pacers in Saturday's Game 7. And in case you don't watch sportsballs, we won by performing well .
Even in my last role building social media software, I scrawled out notecards to new clients like I was filling out lottery tickets. Those personal touches (and of course a good product) helped us turn $2,000 test buys into six-figure, marquee accounts. Thanks, notecards.
"Really? Notecards? That's soooo 1950," you might be thinking.
Yep. Notecards. Like, a real note on a physical paper product (you know, the stuff we used before iPads and kindles). So, here's my challenge to you this week:
Write 3 personalized thank-you notes to 3 of your clients or partners you really appreciate. You don't have to get fancy with it. If you think you need to order special, branded cards, or that you have to pick just the right clients... guess what? It won't get done.
General thank you--or even index--cards will work just fine. Bonus points for getting this done and ready to mail out first thing tomorrow morning.
And while this Thursday's event at the Speedway is sold out (it happened that fast), we have another summit forming around next Tuesday evening for tech and small business...
A group of leading tech entrepreneurs have banded together to fight for small business in Indiana. As a tech community, we need to do a better job of enabling our local companies to take advantage of the web and all the advantages it provides.
How can it be that only 53% of small businesses in Indiana have a website?
Join me, inSourceCode, Yelp, Facebook, and other leaders in tech as we fill a little Indiana gymnasium to launch a big idea. Register for zero charge when you use the code "verge."
Register now at FightForSmall.com
Together, we can move local business forward. Who knows, you might even learn a thing or two yourself :-)
Happy Monday,
Matt
P.S. I'm happy to be your accountabilli-buddy on the notecard challenge. Shoot me an email when you get it done. In the meantime, keep being awesome.