Virginia - Stop Modern Slavery (VASMS) Message Board › Meet Your New VA SMS Leadership Team

Meet Your New VA SMS Leadership Team

A former member

Hello Everyone:

I am very excited to be able to introduce you to the new Virginia Stop Modern Slavery leadership team. They will be taking this group to the next level and continue the fight to end human trafficking. Look for new events and communications from them. Don't forget about the DC Stop Modern Slavery Walk on October 22nd. Please visit the website for more information: http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=482690­ I will stay involved with VA SMS but will take a much smaller role as my time is very limited. Please welcome them and perhaps find a way to join them and get involved in this important cause. Thank you, Julie Keany

Here is your new leadership team:

Meet Toni Kim: I work as an investment analysis consultant for the FAA however my true passion lies in helping to empower disadvantaged populations, especially women and children. Over the past three years I've volunteered over 350 hours at the City of Alexandria Domestic Violence Program, but I've always wanted to be more active and committed to the cause of human trafficking prevention. I volunteered at the first DC SMS walk and participated several years ago as part of the VA SMS street outreach team in Annandale, VA. Despite a brief hiatus, I'm excited to have gotten back on track in addressing and bringing awareness to others about the plight of modern day slavery - especially in our own state. Even though my experience with the organization is limited, I hope that my passion for the cause and compassion for the people it affects everyday will enable me to help the organization achieve great things.

Meet Clare Carlo: Currently, I work in Alexandria, Virginia as a marketing assistant. A few years ago, I became involved with the anti-human trafficking movement as an intern at the Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons at the U.S. Department of State. Upon graduating college at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, I moved to Arlington, Virginia and volunteered as a communications and outreach fellow at Polaris Project. I am excited to continue to be involved in the anti-human trafficking movement with VA SMS and help grow the group and take action.

Meet Marci Anderson: I read articles about human trafficking while I was at the University of Michigan and became more and more interested in the anti-human trafficking movement. After graduating, I decided to move to Virginia from Michigan to pursue a career in non-profit organizations. Since I arrived in late 2008 I have been an active volunteer with DC SMS, Polaris Project, and Free the Slaves. I love Virginia and I want to help the VA SMS group become strong and active in our community.