addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Vizsla Meetup Group Message Board › Thacher our 2 year old Vizsla

Thacher our 2 year old Vizsla

jackie c.
user 63332402
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Thacher is a healthy active Vizsla. About 3 weeks ago he developed bumps (hives) on the top of his head; the skin around his eyes was swollen, white and flakey looking; the insides of the flats of his ears were also flakey. Our vet is "stumped" and he now is on prednisone which seemed to take care of the hives but the skin around his eyes is still white looking and flakey; our vet suggested a vet dermatologist but before we do that, anyone have this similar issue?
Jeff and Donna W.
donwat14
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 11
Our 4 year old Duke had the bumps on his head and I gave him the Comfortis for fleas and they went away. Although he has never had fleas I give him the Comfortis for prevention. Duke always goes in the yard and rolls around and I think that is how he got them. Since using Comfortis I have not had any other problems.
Nathan B.
user 10780831
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 2
Our dog Ruger had similar symptoms when he was about that age (one year ago).

Our vet was also stumped but kept trying to prescribe things. Eventually, it went away (so did several hundred dollars...but oh well).

The last thing he took (which seemed to make the bumps go away) was an antibiotic. I don't remember which one but I could dig through records and old bottles to try and find it for you. The vet claimed that he had an infection under the skin. I don't know if this could possibly be the same for you, my dog loves to run around Williamson County Park and gets some cactus thorns in his skin sometimes which could have led to the infection...again this is all just an educated guess but it worked for my dog. He has since grown back the hair from the "flaky" bumps and hasn't had any other problems with it.