addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The MD/DC Volleyball Meetup Group Message Board › Volleyball Updates

Volleyball Updates

Steverino
user 3938290
Group Organizer
Kensington, MD
Post #: 120
hello, fellow roundball fanatics,

No, NOT Basketball......volleyball.

Ok, new stuff. At LELAND/LAWTON CC on Mondays, effective November 28 - March 12, 2012, VB hours will be contracted from 6-9 PM to 8-9 PM due to the presence during that time of YOUTH BASKETBALL practices. I guess the kids count more than we do.

TUESDAYS at Coffield CC in Silver Spring Supposedly has pickup VB on 2 courts but they don't have the proper equipment to play there. I am working with the Rec Dept. management to try to resolve this problem. Possibly, in several months, we should be able to set up a THURSDAY night there from 6-9 PM on ONE court, initially. The hope is that we will populate that gym on Thursdays and compel them to give us access to both courts. This gym has 50 foot ceilings. It is SO nice!

However, we have an ongoing presence at Wisconsin Place CC on Tuesdays and except for parking, it is a wonderful location................except that Marcus, the night staff person on at that time, starts dropping the BB backboards too early. If you are put out by this, complain to the Center Director, David Brannich.

Wednesdays at Longwood CC remain pretty much the same. One court, high level of competition............hours are from 6-9 PM. Sometimes the night staff turns off the lights before 9 PM......how rude!

Thursdays are at Upper County CC for now. However, very few players show up there any more.

So, we are TRYING to get in at Coffield CC in Silver Spring. The Center Director there is Derick Felton. If you want us in there, give him a call and express your keen interest to him. Enough of that and he will comply just to get us to stop calling him. The Coffield Center number is 240-777-4900. I suggest that you give him an earful. They scheduled us for a slot on Tuesday nights but when our players came to play, they had the wrong equipment so that No one Could play. They need to get the right volleyball stanchions in there so that we can play there on Thursday nights...............or any night for right now.

There is Saturday morning VB at Longwood CC and Sunday afternoon VB at Leland CC at this point. Also, when Plum Gar CC is done being remodeled, they had and likely WILL have Saturday morning VB from 9-12 noon.

So, REALLY, what we should consider is the possibility of Renting a gym on Friday nights for those of us who want to play and do not care to drive to Elkridge or Rockville to pay $5 per person to play. In order for me to be able to do this, you all will have to be open to ponying up ONE dollar per month per person so that I can make arrangements to rent us a gym in Silver Spring, about 5 blocks from the Metro station there.

Think it over, you all. If you want us to have a private gym on Friday nights, then you all will need to be open to paying $1 per month for the privilege. I cannot swing renting a gym for this group by myself at the cost of $90-120 per night, 50 weeks of the year.

OK, that is all for now. But Please, get back to me with your thoughtful, pithy and polite responses.

Regards,

Steverino