The MD/DC Volleyball Meetup Group Message Board › Who gets the second touch?

Who gets the second touch?

A former member
Post #: 6
See, you are also talking about the setter and 90 per cents...
I think the problem comes from different understanding of the word "setter". To me setter is specially trained and designated to this role person. And some people understand that the current #3 during rotation IS the guy who is supposed to play by the designated setter's book. So, let's say if the first touch was not very successful (that happens left and right at the level we play) and the ball goes right to the #6, then #6 has to back up, away from the ball, because #3 will run for a ball. But my problem is that at this level, when current #6 is AS GOOD as a setter as current #3, it does not make any sense to have all this mess on the court...
Because of this reason, everything that is written in books about the setter (again, specially trained and skilled person) can not be applied at the Rec level just because it is stupid :)

Either I am really crazy or I just can't explain the way it becomes obvious for other people.
Do you think I am crazy? :)

What about willingness to talk and motivation to make things better - you've read it. I tried... and even invited the guy to participate a civilized discussion right here... and was suggested to respect 10 years experience... End of discussion. So, if I do not want to be listened any more or if I am wrong on this issue - any way, best thing is to shut up and let people do what they like to do. Certainly, I think I can trust them that people in VB house also play this way.

Maybe I'll some time take a tour to the Owings Mills VM Meetup and just look and talk to the guys.

Thanks any way for talking to me. I appreciate it.

P.S. I just gave it a thought and i think that misunderstanding comes from understanding word "setter" incorrectly. Setter is not a curent #3 but a DESIGNATED player in the team.

Alex.