Women's Coding Collective - Boston Message Board › Hey designers! I want YOU!

Hey designers! I want YOU!

Nicole N.
nicoleNoll
Group Organizer
Somerville, MA
Post #: 34
Posting for a member of our Philadelphia group. Check out her enthusiasm!

-----------------------
Hi fellow designers!

If you happen to be free this weekend, I just wanted to let you know (super last minute) about an AMAZING event taking place April 27-29. It's Boston EDU Startup Weekend. http://bostonedu.star...­ If you haven’t heard of Startup Weekend, it's incredible! The premise is to spend 54 hours working on a team to create and launch a web or mobile application which could, in essence, be a credible business startup, in this case education-related.

I participated in the Philly Startup Weekend last October and it was seriously one of the best experiences of my life! No exaggeration. It's intense and invigorating. I met some fantastic people and ended up starting a new, amazing job because of it. If you have an idea, you can pitch one and then form a team to work for the weekend. Or you can join an idea that you find interesting. Over 54 hours, you get to see what goes into launching a startup, and there is judging and prizes. I loved it so much that I actually became one of the organizers for our Philly event that took place last weekend.

One issue that most Startup Weekend’s face is a lack of designers, which is crazy because it is such a great opportunity for us. Because there are so few, they are in high demand. You get to brand an entire entity, which is great portfolio work. And the teams that come out on top are usually the ones with some good design behind them. My girlfriend who did the Philly one this past weekend left with EIGHT freelance requests! This event is all about learning and collaborating, and you will leave feeling valuable, appreciated, and confident. (You can tell I'm a bit evangelical about it. Haha!)

I can’t recommend it enough. It rocked my world. I met the most amazing friends and contacts. I seriously wish I could do it every weekend. So if you’re looking to accomplish something insane in a weekend, definitely look into http://bostonedu.star...­! You can use the coupon code “designer” to get $39 off the ticket price. I hope you’ll consider it!

Thanks so much!

Melissa Ivone
@OperationNICE