The public hearing on the DC Prohibition Against Trafficking Act of 2009 has been rescheduled for this coming Monday, July 6th at 11 a.m.
As many of you know, this is an opportunity to help pass a very important anti-trafficking bill in DC that will create stiff penalties for human trafficking (both labor and sex) and will provide assistance to victims.
Many of us came out to the original hearing two Fridays ago before it was cancelled. Let's show them that we will not be deterred and come back even stronger! I hope those of you who participated in the last hearing will come again and those of you who did not get a chance to participate will consider joining us. This is a crucial and historical step in making DC slavery free.
Here are the ways you can get involved:
For details about how to get involved and more info about the bill, please go to: http://www.meetup.com/wdcsms/calendar/10770900
- Attend the public hearing in person;
- Provide written testimony directly to the DC Council about why the proposed legislation is needed;
- Provide oral testimony at the hearing. You don?t have to be an expert, all you need to do is stand up and state your support. The max time for each testimony is 3 minutes. We will help you prepare for your testimony;
- If you know members of the media who might be interested in this hearing, contact them. Or you can send us their info and we will contact them.
- If you are not able to get involved in any of the above ways, you can contribute by sending us comments. We will make sure you voice is heard at the hearing.