Western MA.ASH: Atheist - Secular - Humanist Message Board › Book Recommendations

Book Recommendations

Shawn
user 34406092
Group Organizer
Easthampton, MA
Post #: 5
Donald: Paranormality: Why we see what isn't there: Richard Wiseman. Also to mention the “cast of characters” in the argument:Michael Shermer, Phil Plait, Neil Degrass Tyson, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Ayn Hirsi Ali, Richard Dawkins, Jerry Coyne, Carl Sagan, Lawrence Krauss, Steven Pinker, James Randi, all worth reading.

Stacey: "Mistakes were made, but not by me"

Shawn: "The Believing Brain" and "Non-Believer Nation"
Eli
user 11169047
Northampton, MA
Post #: 20
Some of my favorites...

"Blankets" by Craig Thompson - A graphic novel. It is the author's personal story of losing his Christian faith as a senior in high school. Beautiful stuff.

"Mistakes Were Made - But Not by Me" by Tavris and Aronson - Cognitive Dissonance Theory

"The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt - Moral psychology applied to religion and politics. This challenged my thinking a lot. I read it multiple times.

Anything written by Bart Ehrman. He is a very accessible NT scholar and ex-Christian.
Stacey
Sydneycat
Hadley, MA
Post #: 1
I'll be making up a list this weekend and posting it to the files.