Remote participants: video stream URL will be published around 7pm here. For questions and comments we will be watching #wikimedia-dev IRC channel at Freenode (webchat access).
This session will take you through every step of writing an automated test for a real feature on Wikipedia, from the requirements to the executable code. No development experience is required extra bonus for those familiar with Ruby and Cucumber.
We'll start by crafting a plain English description of a software feature in the form of Given/When/Then statements for Cucumber. Then we will turn that plain English description of the software feature into an executable test using the Page Object design pattern.
- Discussion: create some Cucumber test scenarios for a particular Wikipedia feature.
- Setup: install Ruby and prerequisites for Cucumber/Page Object tests.
- Tech demo: Cucumber makes it easy to write the test steps.
- Tech demo: create the Page Object for the test.
- Finish: watch the test run on your local machine, and check the test into the real Wikipedia repository
Bring your own laptop. Pizza and drinks provided.
More information at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Meetings/2013-06-27