"The Minnesota Wine Meetup" Message Board › PLEASE READ FORMER problem person from our MN Wine Meet-up Group

PLEASE READ FORMER problem person from our MN Wine Meet-up Group

DennisandEllen
DennisandEllen
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Part of running a group is dealing with all kinds of people. Many of you know what we go through to keep our guests safe and limit drama.

We have a person with issues, they are sending out nasty emails about us that we thought we needed to inform you about. We have already contacted the Meet-up Legal Department and they are working with us. We are also looking at taking legal action. Your help is welcome.

Many of you know we run not only the MN Wine Club but also TC Couples Meet-up group. Recently we have been hosting a monthly couples get together at a local wine bar. We decided to post the event not only to our TC Couples group but also to our MN Wine Club Meet-up group.

On The MN Wine Club Meet-up we had a FORMER member Cris Burger sign-up with a guest (+1). As our normal procedure we got back to him for the name of the plus 1. We do so, so we get EVERYONE a name tag for all our events. That is where it turned ugly. We have included our dialog/email with Cris. We have also included an email he has been spamming our members with.

In our groups we have never defined what couples means, and we HAVE Gay couples that have attended our events for YEARS. But one thing we DO KNOW is, if asked who the other half of your couple is, you should have a SINGLE NAME and it is NOT your Father. A COUPLE to US means TWO unrelated people that have a committed relationship.

We are working with Meet-up’s Legal Department on this issue. PLEASE if you get a message from Cris Burger forward it to Abuse@Meetup.com and lizd@meetup.com and us and inform others from Meet-up of the problem.

We do not think this indivual is violent but this Saturday could be interesting. If there is an issue we will not hesitate to call 911 and take legal action.

Here is the email that will help you understand the situation and thanks to all, stay safe!

Dennis & Ellen

Cris Burger and 1 guest just said they're going to Couples Night at Toast Wine Bar.

Can we get the name of the other half of the couple? We like to have name tags for everyone.  Thanks,  Dennis & Ellen

Are you a couple? Because you signed up for a COUPLES event at a Wine bar in the MN Wine Club group.  Dennis & Ellen

A couple?  As in a MF, a MM, or a FF couple?  There are 2 of us, yes. (CRIS)

VVVVVVVV --- VERY IMPORTANT ---- VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
My guest will be Carlos, but that may change before the event! (CRIS)

That sounds like a date not a couple  (DENNIS)

Hey we have no issues for you to come as a couple or whatever we define it as, to any of our other events. We have a FF couple that have been attending our events for YEARS... but they are a couple.

If/when you become a couple you are welcome to attend our couple events. But it appears your intent is to create drama which is unacceptable in the group we own & pay for.
Good luck! D&E  (DENNIS)

Maybe a fun date night :) (CRIS)

Unfortunately you fail to grasp the concept of a couples get together and our ability to keep drama out of our groups/ events. (Dennis)

From Cris VVVV
Dennis, Equally unfortunate is the fact that you create your own drama where none existed.  I'll make a special point of introducing myself on the 13th, and my ATTORNEY father, Carlos.  We just lost my mother (his wife of 40+ years) to cancer.  This was to treat him to a quiet enjoyable night out. I think he has a new case.  You done fucked this one up boy! Cris

Have a GREAT DAY! I know I WILL! (DENNIS)

I'm sure MeetUp will enjoy our e-mail thread, as well as some Bi, Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered groups I'll be contacting shortly. I'm smiling . . . soon you may not be!  Yep, I'm pretty sure you won't be :) See you at Toast . . . maybe I'll bring some NEW friends that will want to say 'hi' as well.  Cha cha cha love!!  (CRIS)

Best of luck with Meet-up. Oh and have your DADDY contact them TOO!  (DENNIS)

We'll forward your THREAT to the appropriate resources! (DENNIS)

Please do, and by our conversations we'll see who they take more serious.  A lot of people/organizations are going to find our discussions disturbing at the minimum, as I and my father have.

I've been advised to have no more contact with you, and none from you is welcome. Have a Day??   (CRIS)

Thanks for playing! (DENNIS)

VVVVVVVVVVV ---- SPAM from Cris ---- VVVVVVVVVVV
Hello,  I had a VERY disgusting and disturbing e-mail conversation with Dennis & Ellen (the MeetUp group 'owners') concerning my invite to the Toast Wine Bar get together 4-13. I was taking my elderly father (Carlos) as my quest. My mother, his wife of 42 years, had passed away from breast cancer months earlier. Dad loves red wines and I was going to have a quiet evening out with him.

Dennis asked me the name of my guest and I told him it was Carlos. He immediately assumed I was bringing my male LOVER (I'm married . . . to a real (female) woman, and we have 3 kids!) and began berating the fact that our gay-drama was not welcome and he as the MeetUp group 'owner' would not let us attend. I explained to him this was my DAD, and my mom had just passed away. He went even further by mocking me saying when we were done 'dating' and became a real 'couple' according to his definition, we he might let us attend. He said he was the boss and it was fun 'playing with me' and to have a nice day because he would . . . in all capital letters! This went on for 5 to 6 e-mails and then he un-invited me from the event and un-membered me from the group!

I have the e-mail threads if you might be interested, they are very disgusting and hateful. I hope you will consider NOT attending any events Dennis & Ellen host, or even possible quitting their group. I was a new member and looked forward to meeting other wine enthusiasts, but racist, bigotry, sexism, and homophobia are not things that I feel go well with a nice red.

Thank you,
Cris Burger

I would suggest you consult a lawyer for such statements. See you in court!  Dennis & Ellen

We then sent a certified letter to Meet-up Legal Department here is their response:

APR 03, 2013  |  03:05PM EDT
Hello Dennis,

We received the letter you sent to our Legal Department, dated March 30, 2013. I'm Liz, and it has been escalated to my attention.

We have conducted a limited inquiry into the situation and have taken the appropriate action from here by reaching out to the member. Should you see any further inappropriate content or messaging from this member, please forward it to abuse@meetup.com for our review. We will then take further action.

I hope that this helps. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Sincerely,

Liz Dickey
Trust and Safety Lead
Meetup HQ
lizd@meetup.com

164648 is your incident number. Please do not remove this number from the message.

spec17505964

(We have forwarded two emails today)

Well that is about it in a nut shell… looks like I am one of the few people to say no to Cris and he is having a hissy fit. At least you can read the email and judge for yourself.

Stay safe; hope to see everyone on Saturday,

Thanks,

Dennis & Ellen
DennisandEllen
DennisandEllen
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 21
This person does NOT know your email address, UNLESS you reply to him.
He just clicks a link on the Meet-up website and Meetup sends the message.

Dennis & Ellen