align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

WordPress Knoxville Message Board › Upcoming Meetings

Upcoming Meetings

daryl
This has been a season of travel for me, and I've fallen down on the job of organizing the meetup group. I neglected to set anything up last month. I'm sorry about that. It turns out that I'll be out of town next week, which would be our normal week for a meeting. I will likely be out of town during our usual week in July as well.
I thought I'd take a minute to explain something about the organization of our group that may help diversify our offering and remove me as an organizational bottleneck.
When I first started the group, I paid the dues out of my own pocket and was sort of the person in charge. A year or so ago, I joined the WordPress Foundation's official Meetup initiative. This meant basically that the Foundation joined me as a hands-off organizer and paid the dues.
But it also means that the process of planning meetups is a little more open than it had been when I started the group. To quote the Foundation: "Anything that brings together 2 or more people to share their WordPress experiences counts — there’s no minimum number of attendees or required format."
So basically, if you want to meet with others about WordPress, you can propose a meetup session, and if others express interest, you can use the site to organize the topic, time, place, etc. Although I've sort of presided over our meetings to date, it's been more out of convention than necessity. I wanted a regular meeting time and place, and I tended to set the topic because we wouldn't have had one if I didn't. :) If anybody wants to lead a topic or propose a discussion, you can do so (I think there's a button on the page, though as an organizer I don't have it), and if others RSVP, you need only organize a time and place and be sure to follow the guidelines listed at the top of the link given above.
I encourage any who'd like to organize meetings outside our usual (lately not so usual) monthly meetings to do so. Hopefully in the Fall, my schedule will settle down and I'll be in a better position to carry on with regularly scheduled meetings, but in the mean time, please don't let my limited availability hamper you from socializing and learning from fellow users of WordPress.
Meanwhile, I'll look forward to seeing some of you when I'm back in action in August.
Daryl
Michael C. N.
user 12160984
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 8
Just adding a bit here on the space -

The new location (13 Emory Pl) gives us a lot more flexibility in opening up the space for groups without requiring a special "key" person - just let us know the date and we'll work from there. I can tell you currently that Mondays and Fridays are open, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are not, and the other days of the week may or may not be available depending on the week of the month or time of day you are looking to reserve.

One a side note the Technology Cooperative is hosting a fundraising Hearthstone tournament the end of the month - details over here: http://www.knoxgamede...­
daryl
dllh
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 35
Thanks, Mike. I didn't want to saddle you with opening up the place in my absence, but I appreciate your note about the flexibility. :)