addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Suburb Hackerspace: Workshop 88 Message Board › SMD Reflow Projects

SMD Reflow Projects

John P.
user 83620022
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 1
...morning...wondering if anyone in the group has a small reflow oven for a few proto smd boards I need help with? can supply the pcbs and parts to make a few. thanks. John
Andrew
user 7632724
Group Organizer
Naperville, IL
Post #: 14
We have a toaster oven at Workshop 88 that is designated for PCB work. Also, some of our members have done really good stuff with hot plates for SMD soldering. I'll ping one of our members and see if he can give you more information. You should stop by on a public night and see what is available.
Jim W.
user 11406383
Elmhurst, IL
Post #: 5
Hi John,

While Andrew's statement that there's a toaster oven at the space that's marked to become a reflow oven is correct (and I think we even reflowed a small board in it once as a test), it doesn't have a controller yet, and wouldn't be my first choice for a reflow job.

I've been using a hot plate reflow setup for a year and a half, and I've had excellent results with it on many small single-sided boards. It certainly has limitations on the size of boards it can handle and the thermal profile it can provide, but I'll be glad to bring it by the space if it would help your project.

How big are your boards? What components (and what sizes!) will be on them? How are you planning to apply solder paste? Do you have a stencil?

Let us know so we can see if we can help you out.

Thanks!

Jim