WritersWrite! in Colorado Springs Message Board › Update and the next few sessions

Update and the next few sessions

A former member
Howdy Everyone,

Thank you so much for the calls, texts, and messages this morning. I truly have a wonderful bunch of friends. As an update with a bit of a back track. I made it home yesterday and called the doc this morning. She thinks its a mild concussion. But I'm grounded, no driving until I can keep down food and the headache is gone. If I can't keep food down or the headache isn't gone by Wed, I have to go in for all kinds of fun. 

So how did this happen? A fiesty crowd moving at the bar Saturday night moving ever closer until I was backed into a couch, of which I fell onto, spilling my wine, snapping my head back and hitting the back of my skull on the hard corner. Then I proceeded to loose my dinner, the next morning's breakfast and then the dinner roll I had for lunch on Sunday. So I'm having some personal time with the porcelin god.

So onto some business ...

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone for an amazing conference. We have partials, fulls, and all kinds of requests!!! And these requests came from pitch's, first page readings, etc. Now we need to deliver... fun, fun, fun.

Starting this Thursday, I have to work for the next two weeks (hopefully the head cooperates), I will be back on the 8th and 10th, but then I'm gone again the next week. If I can drive, I'll be at this Tues session.

Lucky for all of us Powl's in town for the next month. Whoo hoooo! So he's going to take over facilitating, until I can get back. Thursday's session is a recap, and a planning session for the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Here are my thoughts on the next steps...

1. I asked Weronicka how she was going to handle all of these requests... Her response -- 80% of the partials/ fulls I get I will reject after the first three lines. 

So remember... every line on that first page, first chapter MATTERS! And will determine if you have an agent or not. You've gotten requests based on your log line and your first page, now do it a favor and make sure your writing sings.

2. If you are not ready to submit a full and have a partial request... CONGRATULATIONS. You have about 3 to 6 months to get the full finished, but 4 to 6 weeks for the partial. Make sure those partial pages are amazing!!!

3. Everyone you have 4 to 6 weeks for most submissions. There were several agents that said, send it to me when you're ready. I know that feels like you have a ton of time. But remember that every day it isn't sent, is one more day that the agent forgets your face and the reason why they asked for it. Put yourself in the place of the agent, HOW MANY people did they meet? So don't waste their time with a submission that isn't ready, but also don't take advantage of their offer by taking your time finishing.

So there's my words of advice for whatever they are worth.

I'll be sending Powl my list of info for Agent's contacts. I know that Weronicka told some of you to contact me, since she ran out of business cards. So Powl will have that info until I'm back.

Thanks everyone, and once again CONGRATULATIONS! Our group made an incredible impression at this conference. You all deserve this success, you've all worked hard to get here. The talent in this group is incredible and now we've proven it.

See you soon!

Anita