add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Seattle Shiba Inu Enthusiasts Club Message Board › Shiba Meet up / Shiba health issues

Shiba Meet up / Shiba health issues

Jennifer B.
user 61840022
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
Hi, my husband and I have been wanting to bring our 5 month old Shiba Inu "Sassy" to a meet up but we haven't made it yet. We have been struggling with some health issues with her. She had what we thought was a UTI but now it looks like she might have kidney issues. We are on a second round of antibiotics and she is going in for more testing on Wednesday. She is always incredibly thirsty and just cant stop from going potty inside. Has anyone else had any bladder/kidney issues with their Shiba, puppy or adult? I'm just hoping it's something that can be easily treated. Hopefully we can bring her, healthy and happy to the next Shiba Meetup. Jennifer
user 5939128
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 129
Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear your puppy is having some health set backs. Maybe mention it to your breeder? I know of some much older (senior) Shibas with Cushings and diabetes, and the excess thirst and incontinence went along with that. UTI can most definitly cause this.

Sometimes spayed girls can suffer from spay incontinence. Has she been spayed yet?

Diabetes can affect dogs of any age, so that may be something to check for at your vet. Try keeping a water log over several days documenting the exact amounts of water your puppy is drinking. Puppies often don't regulate water intake very well and can gulp and gulp, than have accidents later on.

Renal disease is not at all common in young dogs. Has she had lab work to check for kidney function?

Is she fully potty trained? What is her eating/drinking and potty schedule currently? Is she on any steroids?
Jennifer B.
user 61840022
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Hi Lindsay,

We took Sassy to her vet yesterday. They took a sterile urine sample and some bloodwork so they could check her kidney function. Today we are supposed to get her results. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that whatever is wrong is treatable and we can help her get over this! She has not been spayed yet, she never became fully potty trained and in hindsight I think whatever is wrong with her has been long term. I just figured for a while that the peeing in the house was her being a puppy and part of the potty training process. She is great at going potty outside when we take her out, but just can't seem to hold it for very long, hence the accidents. Between the two rounds of antibiotics she seemed to be peeing on the floor constantly, even with frequent potty trips outside. So...I'm anxious to get her test results and hoping we can treat her and move forward. She's a great puppy aside from the health issues. I will update on the board when we know more-and hoping we can make it to a Shiba meet up soon! Jennifer