add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Denver "Yappy Hour" for a Cause Message Board › New picnic discussion

New picnic discussion

A former member
Post #: 2
Here is where we can discus a date and venue for a new picnic since the last picnic wasn't organized very well.

Date: None mentioned yet

Venue: One person said Cherry Creek Park but thats gonna run about $8-9 admission for people and $2 for doggies so I dont know if anyone is really gonna plunk $10-11 for a Meetup event.

There are a couple of other options. There is a great dog park in Aurora, near Quincy and Buckley (Grandview Dog Park), but that might be a hike for some people and supposedly it has like 1-2 tables max so not really picnic worthy. There is another awesome dog park in Stapleton (Greenway Park).

Both are fully fenced dog parks, although Stapleton does not have tables (according to the original suggestor) inside the fence.

I'm new to the area so I don't know much about dog parks but I've checked out these 2 websites for my info:

Hopefully someone who knows the area better will have more insight on a fenced dog park w/ decent seating/tables for picnicking.

user 7712596
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
I wouldn't recommend holding a picnic in the dog park itself since that's inviting problems with other dogs who are not part of meetup - food aggression.

I would suggest either meeting at a regular park where we can walk the dogs together and have a picnic afterwards or meet at a dog park, let the dogs play together, and then go to a regular park to hold the picnic.

I really like the Stapleton Dog Park; it has a nice fenced in area for dogs to be off leash and an attached park where we can picnic afterwards.

Depending on the number of attendees, you may need 2 people to host this event.

A former member
Good point. I've heard good things about the Stapleton park as well (or at least thats what I read on those 2 website links I listed in the previous post).

Hopefully others will indulge this discussion and get involved in the decisionmaking process.
Judie H.
user 11589644
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
I would be willing to pay a price for some organization and a couple of hours of actual fun! There is also a huge fenced in off leash dog park in Westminster with a kids playground adjacent and soccer fields as well as open space trails.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Judi, Where is the dog park in Westminster? I recently moved here and have been looking for a nice dog park to bring my dog to.

I was in Thornton when I first moved to Colorado this past fall. There also is a nice fenced in dog park on Holly just off of 136th behind the new aquatic center. I liked it because they have a small dog area along with a big dog area.

Actually I was trying to find the exact location of that one to post here and came across this website with several fenced dog parks. It seems to have a decent amount of detail. If anyone has any experience (good or bad) with a particular dog park, perhaps you can share with the group. It may save some of us some time if decide to explore but aren't sure which parks are worth a trip.

Cheri H.
user 6434877
Lyons, CO
Post #: 7
I would LOVE the big Westminster location were it not for the abundance of prairie dogs. Has it changed, or is it still not 100% fenced? I'm concerned that lots of dogs would go nuts with the prairie dogs.

I know that it's not a Denver location, but I put a call in to Diann Yandrich and John Hendershot of Two Bears Pet Services. They're in ERIE. Maybe there for a later MeetUp one day, if we have one south and one north in the course of spring/summer. They have three fenced areas, and a membership social and training club, but are willing to talk about renting a totally fenced space to us for a few hours. If a bunch of people committed just a little bit apiece we might get our own space for far less than going to Cherry Creek. They have a full agility yard, which would be a blast, and they do Schutzhund training for sport. Maybe we could picnic in peace at the edge of the fenced areas and not worry about inappropriately aggressive dogs coming who are not part of our MeetUp and creating danger. We've all been to fenced parks when such dogs and irresponsible owners show up and we have to leave for safety's sake. "Two Bears Dog Club is 4 fully fenced acres divided into three training fields." Their web site is I'll go have a look at its setup in the next week or so. Everything is far for me, living in the mountains between Lyons and Estes Park.
user 11041638
Denver, CO
In my frustration that my loose dog ended up swimming in the muddy, smelly lake, I left with him shortly after arriving and forgot to pick up my cloth water bowl. It's pink and maroon colored and I set it down under a tree. Did anyone pick it up by chance?

Please reply to j thomas at the voice coach dot com