addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Denver "Yappy Hour" for a Cause Message Board › How This All Works

How This All Works

A former member
Post #: 179
Heyas,

Some people have asked me questions about the venues I've chosen for our events. Questions such as, "Why isn't this at a bar?" or "Why can't we go back to the Hotel Monaco that has a bar?" or "This used to be at bars; why aren't we at a bar?" & so on & so on. Also I've received questions like, "Why do we have to pay $5?" and "Why is it BYOB?" and such. I'm going to field all of your questions by explaining how the events are set up. Hopefully that will just take care of all questions of this nature.

Here's the LD:

Bars are only possible during warm weather months because Denver food & health code doesn't allow dogs inside any establishment that serves food. Patios are allowed, and is up to the establishment. Restaurants don't want dogs, period. Many bars don't want dogs b/c it's too much hassle for them. Some bars do want dogs, but don't have enclosed patios, which forces us all to have our dogs leashed, which is extremely troublesome -- to manage your leashed dog among 20 other leashed dogs, and still have fun mingling with the peeps. There are a paltry handful of bars that have enclosed patios, none of which is relevant during the winter, b/c we simply can't hang outside.

The challenge is finding a dog-friendly indoor space that we can have, basically, a party in. The best places that fit this bill are doggy day-cares. They have large, dog-friendly spaces that are virtually unused during the week-ends. They're happy for the business, and charge me low rental fees that make this still possible when only 15-20 peeps show up. During cold winter months, this is basically our best option for doggy happy hour on a bi-weekly basis.

I'd like to do it bi-weekly b/c I'd like my dog to come out with me more. It's hard for me to have fun knowing my dog is stuck at home. I'd also like my dog to have a full, rich life. I think there's more to caring for a dog than feeding it & making sure it doesn't get run over by a car. I know many of you love your dogs & agree. So that's what I'm trying to get going here -- a regular social opportunity that you can bring your dog to. And that's also why I've spent 20+ man-hours calling around town to find venues, and also undertaken the financial risk that I have.

The events cost $5/$10 because I have to rent out these spaces with my own money. My own-- hard-earned -- blood, sweat, & tears -- money. I prefer pre-pay because if not enough people come, I lose money, and these events will end if that happens too often. The events are BYOB b/c without some stuff, there's no party, and we'll all stand around watching our dogs have fun. I appreciate the hell out of anyone who contributes to making these events fun, like people who bring stuff & people who take pictures & what-not. Please understand that it's necessary to put the kai-bosh on moochers, b/c sadly some people are like that. Keep in mind that organizing a complex group like this is a voluntary service on my part. I'm not running a business, and I don't make profit from your $5 a head.

When the weather warms up, we'll go back to bars that have enclosed patios. There'll be no fee & no pre-pay, but your drinks & snacks will cost bar prices. That's simpler and less financially risky for me, as organizer. As always, the goal is always leash-free. VIVA LEASH-FREE!

I hope you all have fun at these. If you'd like to help out, please contact me & ask what can be done. Thanks for your participation, and also for reading this long-winded post. I want an understanding of what I do & how this all works.

~ Amit

P.S. I can't arrange the Hotel Monaco often b/c the events don't make enough money for them. Even if I charged you all $20 a head, we still couldn't get in the ballpark. I may be able to swing Hotel Monaco again one day, but don't count on this being the standard. crying