Pre-InstallFest meeting at KSU-Marietta.
Primary goal is to provide steps for students to prepare their computers for installations of Linux in either a dual-boot or virtual machine setup.
Please read http://blog.jdpfu.com/Lin_4_Win_Users prior to attending.
As time allows, we will go over a little about Linux, show some applications, servers, and other capabilities like remote access, VPN use, and a little automation.
Things which must be performed BEFORE installing Linux - which must be performed before coming to the installfest on 9/16.
• Backups (always required before major changes and/or partitioning)
• Defragmentation (Windows defrag)
• Hardware Checks (know the CPU, RAM, GPU)
• Free Storage requirements (15G min. 25G is comfortable)
• Available Partitions required (Need at least 2)
• CPU and RAM requirements for Virtualization (C2D or better w/ 4G or more RAM)
We will have HW questionnaires and experts available to help pick which method and distribution would be the best choice for each attendee.
Sponsored by KSU-IEEE and ALE.