This group is open to anyone with an interest in American Sign Language and Deaf culture. Join this group if you are Deaf/deaf, hard of hearing, and/or an ASL enthusiast and want to meet and chat with others in ASL. All levels of signers are welcome from beginning ASL students to fluent native signers. Join this group if you want to meet real people, face-to-face.
The meetups at the ASL Club of Western Massachusetts will be Voice-Off ASL immersion activities. Come have fun while you join in a variety of social activities that include a mixture of regular coffee chats, social gatherings and outings, e.g. visiting local attractions, Deaf event, ASL interpreted events, dining out, etc.
Get Involved. Do you have an idea for an activity that would be appropriate for this group? Feel free to send suggestions to the organizer.
Although the primary language for these meetups is ASL, if you use other forms of visual communication, e.g. other signed languages (BSL, LSF, etc.), Signed English or SEE you are welcome to attend.
This group was started by a Deaf ASL instructor who offers classes and private tutoring in the Westfield, MA area. Contact the organizer if you are looking for formal ASL instruction or visit www.youmesign.com (http://www.youmesign.com/) for more information.
ASL Club of Western Mass welcomes and embraces diversity in its membership. Discriminatory behavior of any kind will not be tolerated.
Core Group Rules:
1. Please treat all members with courtesy and respect - both online and in person.
2.This meetup is to actually meet and get to know you which mean you should be an active and frequent participant. Your attendance should not be solely to receive class credit and/or to advertise your business.
3. This is a Voices Off group. Please come prepared to sign at all times. If you do not know the sign, challenge yourself to use other visual methods to communicate - gestures, writing, etc. No talking please.
4. Although all levels of signers are welcome, this is not a class. It is strongly recommended that you have completed at least one ASL course and/or know some basic signs so you can participate in the conversation.
5. If your participation is part of a school requirement, you are welcome to attend meetups and learn from the group; however, please do not ask members to sign school paperwork or to be photographed as proof of attendance. We would like you to attend and be a regular part of the group rather than just to fulfill a course requirement.
6. Participation is at your own risk. By joining this group you agree to indemnify and hold harmless ASL Club of Western Massachusetts and/or its organizers from any and all actual or alleged claims, demands, cases of action, liability, loss, damage, and/or injury (to property or persons, including without limitation wrongful death), whether brought by an individual or other entity, or imposed by a courts of law or by administrative action of any federal, state, or local government body or agency, arising out of or incident to any acts, omissions, negligence or willful misconduct of ASL Club of Western Massachusetts or its organizers. This indemnification applies to and includes, without limitation, the payment of all penalties, fines, judgments, awards, decrees, attorney’s fees, and related costs or expenses, and any reimbursements to ASL Club of Western Massachusetts and/or its organizers and costs incurred by it.
7. Membership is at the discretion of the organizer(s). You can be removed from the group at any time.