We are a friendly, diverse, and generally awesome* bunch of people who meet in a cafe on the first and third Sundays of each month to discuss a work of fiction. We read all genres and periods from the classics to modern novels, although we aim for a choice which will generate an interesting discussion. We may use pre-prepared questions to kick-start a discussion.
We encourage members to suggest books they would like to discuss, however the organisers make the final decision, based on past/future choices and various other factors. We select books two months ahead of time, to give people more time to order (and read) them.
The group is open to anyone aged eighteen or over. General etiquette points are:
1. Although we understand you may not have read the entire book, if you haven't read any of it, you might wish to wait for a future meetup when you will have time to read the book beforehand.
2. We ask that during the main discussion, you discuss the book with the main group and don't start separate side discussions with the person next to you. Usually other people are keen to hear what you have to say, and it stops things becoming too noisy and chaotic.
3. If you like or dislike aspects of the book, have a think in advance about what exactly it is about the characters/plot/setting/language that affects you. If you're not sure, maybe you could word it as a question to the group. This makes it easier for other people to build on what you say, and helps create an interesting discussion.
4. If you are unable to attend a meetup you have indicated you will attend, please change your rsvp to allow a member on the waitlist to attend. Consistent "no shows" will result in removal from the group.
5. To retain your membership in this group you will need to attend at least one discussion every 6 months.