addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Ames MakerSpace Message Board › Too many websites/presences?

Too many websites/presences?

Aquaponic G.
user 42589192
Ames, IA
Post #: 21
Here's a Wordpress plugin for meetup:

http://nuancedmedia.c...­

Awesome. Steven, if Alex is able, would you like him to put the plugin into the website?

I tried to find information about Meetup and 501c3s but found nothing. I'll keep looking but I think there isn't any special discount for non-profits.
Alex R.
user 26465162
Ames, IA
Post #: 4
I can, but per Steven's comments - there's a lot more to it. I have a wordpress site of my own so I could add in the plugin - but that'd be fairly easy. The hard part is figuring out how to merge the content and domains of the .com (a Drupal site) and the .org (a wordpress) - at least that is what I understood and could tell Steven had a plan or at least some ideas... once he got access to the Drupal site.

I imagine we'd want to do this:
1) decide on the best (cheapest, easiest, most reliable) host
2) copy the hackerspace and amesmakerspace.com to the amesmakerspace.org wordpress CMS
3) put the (updated) wordpress content on the chosen host
4) redirect from the hackerspace and amesmakerspace.com to amesmakerspace.org (with the thinking that a .org would be associated with a non-profit...)

But again - this is just what I am guessing...
Rob
user 49630442
Ames, IA
Post #: 7
1. HostGator is the best of the low-cost hosts I've used which is still around. I'm sure there are plenty of others that are just as good, but there are a few others that I would definitely not recommend.
2. As far as copying the content, I think it's sufficient to just export the drupal site and set it up as a subdomain, for archival purposes only. We can always try to import or copy the Drupal site's content into the WordPress site, but it may require more effort than it's worth.
3. yep
4. The domain needs to be transferred from the old owner to the MakerSpace before it expires in October. Steven has been trying to contact that person, but with little success thus far. He mentioned Nitin could also try contacting that person, but I've contacted the registrar to find out what steps will be necessary to transfer ownership if the old owner remains unreachable. Once the ownership is transferred, the .com can be configured to permanently redirect to the .org. In the meantime, the Drupal site can be updated to tell people to go to the .org instead.

4a. Where is the hackerspace website you mentioned? Are you just talking about http://hackerspaces.o...­
Rob
user 49630442
Ames, IA
Post #: 9
Here is the registrar's response:

In order to reset the account password so you can gain access to the account, you will need to update the email address on file.

Once that email address is updated, then we can send an email to the updated email that contains a link that will allow you to reset your account password.

For the Billing Department to update the contact information on the hosting account, we will need additional information from you. Changing the email address on file is a very critical detail that would allow the email account holder to receive account-specific details and have the ability to change the password on the account thus taking possession of that account. For this reason, and for the protection of our customers, we require verification to ensure that the owner of the hosting account is the one requesting the change.

For security purposes, please verify you are the account owner by replying with ALL of the following:
*The last four case-sensitive characters of the cPanel login password.
*The last four digits of the credit card used to pay for the most recent hosting payment.

If you are unable to provide both forms of verification requested above, we will still be able to update the email address if you can follow a few steps:
1. Call the Billing Department from the phone number listed on your account.
2. Verify your first and last name.
3. Verify the current email address on your hosting account.
4. Verify the last 4 digits of the credit card that was used for the most recent hosting payment.

If you are not the person listed on the hosting account as the owner, but you are the person who paid for the account originally, then we do consider you the owner of the account and we will need additional information from you. Please provide a copy of the front of the credit card used for the ORIGINAL hosting payment to Bluehost and a government-issued photo ID matching the name on the card. If you no longer have the card you may instead provide a copy of the bank statement showing the original purchase with Bluehost, along with a government issued photo ID matching the name on the bank statement. You may reply to this email with the attachments or send a fax to: (801) 765-1992 Attn: Billing Department.

If you are able to do ANY of those things, we will be able to update the email address on your account and then send you the forgot password email, which will contain a link allowing you to change the password on your account.

Out of the different bits of information above, which ones do we have? I still think a few different people who knew the person should each try a couple more times to contact the person who originally registered the domain. It would be nice to get this moving. I'm happy to help however I can, whether it involves calling or emailing the person, or sending a letter in the mail if we have the current address.
Alex R.
user 26465162
Ames, IA
Post #: 5
Sorry to not follow this thread. I kept meaning to check up on it but have been busy with work.

Thanks for the info/responses Rob. I think I will be at the space tomorrow (Saturday Jul 21). I'll see if there's anything that I can help with, or if you're interested - per this reply - you've obviously done this stuff more than I have.
Ames M.
user 25881012
Ames, IA
Post #: 3
Mike just replied with the information needed for the domain transfer. I'll be going through it today as part of the WebDev Workshop.
Rob
user 49630442
Ames, IA
Post #: 11
Alex, sorry, I didn't see your message until just today.

Steven--awesome! If you need any help configuring things, I can help.

I'm really busy this week but might be able to free up an hour or two later in the week or next weekend...otherwise, I should have some more time next week.