addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Ann Arbor Classics Book Group Message Board › 2013 & 2014

2013 & 2014

Rebecca
user 9765694
Group Organizer
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello, readers!

The Ann Arbor Classics Book Group is having two more monthly book discussions in 2013:
Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 3pm, “The Ambassadors” by Henry James
and
Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 3pm, “Fathers and Sons” by Ivan Turgenev

No book discussion will occur in December 2013 due to the holiday season.

Change of location: Instead of the tables on the ground floor of the Michigan Union across from the new Subway, we will try to meet at the back of the Tap Room by the windows -- just through the open doorway next to Subway. A sign will be posted, but since this is not a UM sanctioned event, I am not sure how long the sign will stay up.

2014: Please email or post on this discussion page up to five suggestions for book selections from Boxall's "1001 books you must read before you die” for inclusion in the 2014 voting list. Any book that received 60% or more in 2013 will move forward on the list for 2014.

2003 version list: [http://www.meetup.com...­]

I am working on a more complete list with additions from newer editions of the book, as well as better formatting and a bit more information. This is a slow process since there are now more than 1001 titles.

Thanks to everyone for making this a great Book Group to belong to and run!

--Rebecca
Rebecca
user 9765694
Group Organizer
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 45
Correction: "1996" should be 2006. Not sure where 1996 came from in my head, but it's really 2006. There are also 2008 and 2010 editions.

I plan to add page numbers for 2006 edition, publication year, and country of author's birth.
A former member
Post #: 1
I vote for Hard Times by Dickens, Sister Carrie by Dreiser, The Virgin Suicides by Eugenides, The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner, & For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway. Can't wait for next year so my schedule clears up and I can start coming!
Janet K.
user 76553032
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 1
I vote for I,Robot by Asimov, Frankenstein by Shelley, Madame Bovary by Flaubert, Last Days of Humanity by Kraus, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams. I'm sure there are tons more but that can wait until 2015. :)
P.S. Thanks Rebecca for the new list, Rebecca!