The Arizona Wilderness Coalition in collaboration with the Friends of the Verde River is excited to announce a special hands-on experience that will introduce you to the concept of wilderness stewardship. Join us for this two-day event in Prescott National Forest’s beautiful Sycamore Canyon Wilderness.
You will learn about and discuss:
• topics surrounding the history and laws governing Wilderness
• the seven leave no trace principles
• how to properly identify problems areas and execute maintenance
• becoming a volunteer
• and much more!
This training course is exactly what you need to help grow your skill set and understand the value and importance of stewardship of Arizona’s Wilderness and Wild and Scenic Rivers.
Come prepared for both classroom discussion and hands-on training as you spend a night under the stars putting your new skills into practice.
Before registering for this training, please be sure to read and understand the following documents linked below.
• Prescott National Forest Adopt-A-Trail Manual (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd517225.pdf)
• Forest Service Volunteer Handbook (https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/htmlpubs/htm09672813/)
• Hazardous Communications Training (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd518930.pdf)
• Blood Borne Pathogens Training (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd518929.pdf)
• Prescott National Forest Adopt-A-Trail Job Hazard Analysis (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd537314.pdf)
We will be car camping on Saturday night.
• Day pack to carry supplies throughout the day
• Water (2 – 4 liters per day)
• Food (breakfast & lunch each day, AWC will provide a dinner Saturday night)
• Sturdy, closed-toe shoes, NO SANDALS. Under our volunteer agreement with the Forest Service, you must wear closed-toe shoes or you will not be able to join us.
• Appropriate clothing, with warm layers for the evening.
• Sun protection (sun screen, sunglasses, hat, etc.)
• Camping equipment (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent/shelter, flashlight/headlamp & batteries, plate/bowl, eating utensils, toiletries, first aid kit, etc.)
• Hiking pole(s) or stick
We will be meeting and car camping at the Parsons Trailhead at the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness north of Cottonwood.
Carpooling will be available from Prescott, so let us know if you need a ride.
GPS coordinates for Parsons Trailhead:[masked], [masked]
Google Maps link for Parsons Trailhead: https://goo.gl/maps/3PYxoAaYUC32
DIRECTIONS FROM COTTONWOOD
From the intersection of Mingus Avenue and Main Street, follow Main Street north and continue for 2.1 miles, after which Main Street will turn into Broadway. Continue for another 1.1 miles.
Turn right onto Tuzigoot Road and follow it for 0.5 miles, crossing the Verde River.
Take the next left after the bridge onto Sycamore Canyon Road (which becomes Forest Road 131) and follow it for 10.3 miles to the trailhead at the end of the road. After 4.6 miles, the road becomes dirt/gravel and remains unpaved for the last 5.7 miles.
For a weather forecast for the approximate region of this event, visit the following link in the days leading up to the event. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-112.06929125357419&lat=34.86387569744062
If you have any questions about this event, contact Jonathan Patt at [masked].