Join us for a two day weekend trail maintenance project in the Mazatzals Wilderness near Payson, backpacking in over 4 miles and 2,500' to a campsite at The Park and working on the top end of the North Peak Trail. Water is available nearby in Pete's Pond.
The work involved will include a mix of brushing vegetation overgrowth with loppers and pruning saws and possibly deadfall tree removal and treadwork.
The roads in to the trailhead may require high clearance 4WD. If you would like to carpool in, leave a comment on the event page or contact [masked] to arrange details.
MEETING LOCATION & DIRECTIONS
Meet at 8 AM, November 23 at the Mineral Creek Trailhead for the North Peak Trail.
From Payson on Highway 87 drive west on Main Street. Stay on main road past a golf course, where the pavement ends and the road becomes FR 406. About 5.2 miles from Highway 87, turn left on FR 414 and go another 5.2 miles. Turn right and continue 0.2 mile to fork in road (roads forks 3-ways. turn left and go about 100 feet to Mineral Creek trailhead). High clearance 4WD may be required for parts of this road, especially towards the end.
We will be parked with an Arizona Wilderness Coalition sign at or near the trailhead and will be at the location Friday night.
GPS Coordinates:[masked], [masked]
Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/K5EDtLreYBKk1QW2A
CalTopo link: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=[masked],[masked]&z=14&b=f16a
- A large overnight backpack that can hold all your gear
- Water — 3 – 4 liters per day and water purification/filtration capability— there should be creek water available in the area where we'll be camping
- Food — Breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks
- Personal protective equipment: work gloves, eye protection (sunglasses are fine) — hard hat will be provided
- Under our volunteer agreement with the Forest Service, you must wear closed-toe shoes or you will not be able to join us
- You must wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt while working
- Warm layers for the evening
- Sun protection (sun screen, sunglasses, hat, etc.)
- Camping gear - sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent/shelter, flashlight (batteries), plate/bowl, utensils, stove, toiletries/toothbrush, first aid kit, other?
- Optional: Hiking poles
If you have any questions about this project, contact [masked].