addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arlington Ruby Message Board › Besides attending meetups, what certification, training, bootcamp, and/or co

Besides attending meetups, what certification, training, bootcamp, and/or conference would you partake in to add value to your skills?

Joanna J.
user 4468003
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Also, wondering what thoughts you have in the items below...

Ruby Association Certified Ruby Programmer Silver
Target version: Ruby 1.8.7

Ruby on Rails Bootcamp Training Course

Certified Scrum Developer

Rails Conf 2014
Date: April 29 – May 2

Thanks!
Joanna M. Johnson
Dave A.
davearonson
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 90
Certs are generally disparaged among Rubyists. If I were reading resumes of applicants, I would consider a Ruby cert a negative, much like a MCSE. (Not necessarily so for other skills where they are useful or often even necessary, like CCNA or CISSP.) Either way I'd still go check out their Github account or other public code samples. If they have none, then THAT is a negative too. (Unless perhaps they're fresh out of school, or otherwise brand-new to real-world coding.)

As for CSD: CSM (Certified Scrum-Master, offered by the same folks) certifies that you warmed a seat for three days. Maybe not even that, I dunno if they take attendance. Unless I hear otherwise, I can only ass-u-me that CSD has a similarly rigorous exam.

RailsConf is great! GO! Also RubyConf. Not as big, but still good and nearby are RubyNation and RubyDCamp (if you can get in; it's small, but a fantastic experience). Not quite as close-by are Steel City Ruby (Pittsburgh) and Nickel City Ruby (Buffalo); I've heard these are good but haven't gone. I couldn't get into RubyDCamp so I put on Ruby Day Camp as overflow, and *might* be convinced to do it again next year if I can't get into RubyDCamp again, or to do it again at some other time.

Also, read blogs and listen to podcasts (there are a gazillion great Ruby blogs and several great Ruby podcasts).

But above all, get to Carnegie Hall. You know how to get there, don'tcha?