addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Art Of Home Grown Organic Aloha Gardening W/Events Group!!! Message Board › Family moving to Oahu. Need HELP PLEASE

Family moving to Oahu. Need HELP PLEASE

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi there. My name is Tiffany Seale. My husband, Josseck, is in the Army and I am an Air Force Veteran. We are currently in Alaska and will be moving to Oahu in July.

We have two girls, Sara age 7 and Josselyn age 2. We have a small dog named marshmallow. He's a shih tzu/bichon frise mix. I have terrible pet dander allergies, so we are strict on keeping him well groomed at least once per month.

We are hoping this will be our last move with the military. We want to try and settle down in Hawaii. Organic/Raw/Vegan has become our passions as well as protecting our Earth. We want to live somewhere that we can be sustainable 12 months a year, as opposed to living anywhere that has a cold winter.

I am asking for your help to make our move a smooth one.

#1-Schools: We are hearing that Momilani Elementary is one of the best schools. What do you think? Our daughter who is going into second grade is testing at a 3rd grade level. We homeschooled her this semester, but won't have the means to continue to homeschool. I know that we would have to live in this district in order for her to go there, and that is ok with us. Would love some feedback.

#2-Daycare: My 2yo daughter has a dairy sensitivity. This is actually what sparked our Veganism. The military doctors will not write a note for daycares for her because the 'symptoms' she has (eczema, diarrhea, etc) aren't considered 'symptoms' related to dairy in the mainstream medical community. Does anyone have any daycare suggestions that would be conducive and open to the Vegan lifestyle?

#3-School for me: As I stated, I am an Air Force veteran. I already have 3 years of college and I want to finish my degree. That being said, because my ideals have changed... it is near impossible for the GI Bill to pay for a holistic nutrition degree. So, we've decided to seek a work-around and have the GI Bill pay for me to go to school for Massage Therapy. I also get a stipend monthly while I am in school and will be using this money to pay for my Holistic Studies. Does anyone have any suggestions on schools for Massage Therapy?

#4-best community for living: My husband will be stationed at Schofield Barracks. As stated above, it seems living in Momilani Elementary School district would be a good fit for us, but we are having trouble finding a home that will accept a pet. Do you know why this is? I used to work in property management prior to joining the Air Force. I have seen what folks allow their pets to do, and I do understand when homeowners decide 'no pets'. But, right now, we are living in a home that was brand new when we moved in. Our dog was just a pup and has only had two accidents in three years. We've cleaned up more 'messes' from our 2yo than we have from the dog. Again, we keep our dog very well groomed.

We are wanting to find a home that will allow us to build raised beds to have our own mini garden as well as us paying for a whole house water filtration system. If you could help point us in the right directions, we'd greatly appreciate it.

#5-community networking: We've struggled to find like-minded individuals for us to befriend. I truly feel sorry for my husband, as he has no male friends that have things in common with him. He's a loving father and husband. He is passionate about Veganism and fitness. He would love to find a hobby that makes him happy, outside of working to support his family.

I am sorry this is alot, but we are experiencing so many changes in our lives right now. We are overwhelmed by finding a home, finding good schools for our children, continuing our Vegan lifestyle, and making new friends. Any assistance that you can provide to us would be greatly appreciated.