Hi! We are a friendly group for people who are interested in golf, and other sports (or activities). Our most regular event is golf, but we also organise cycle rides, table tennis, card games and other sports or activities (as listed below). Golf events are generally held in east Berkshire & north west Surrey, whilst other activities are mostly held in Ascot or Sunningdale.
At the moment we are organising golf and occasional cycle rides. Indoor events will resume when possible.
Women and men of any age are welcome at all our events. Having fun doing sports or activities, whilst perhaps making some friends are the main aims of the group. Please ensure you have a photo of yourself when joining so that we can recognise you and welcome you when attending events (note: photos are only visible to members). Hope to see you soon!
More details on our activities are given below:
• Golf* - organised most weekends (in Sunningdale, Ascot, or at one of several other nearby courses mainly in east Berkshire and north west Surrey) - usually over 18 holes (but at least once a month over nine). Further details lower down on this page.
• Cycle rides are organised about once a month (less frequent during the winter months).
• Table tennis is organised about every 3 weeks to a month (on Friday evenings in Sunningdale).
• Snooker is organised about every 6 to 8 weeks in Ascot (during the week or at the weekend).
• Card games evenings** where we meet-up are held on weekday evenings in Sunningdale, Ascot (subject to interest). We also may occasionally organise online card games evenings (this includes the possibility of chatting using WhatsApp). Note: If you are interested in bridge locally and online please go to: https://www.meetup.com/Ascot-Sunningdale-Bridge-Meetup/ .
• Other activities - badminton, petanque, and trips to watch sports events are organised occasionally. Occasional walks and quizzes may also be organised.
Team sports are not organised.
There are a roughly equal number of men and women in the group, and members are also of various ages from early 20's to over 60 (although most members are I guess aged 35+).
We hope to see you soon! Ideas welcome.
P.S. Temporary local residents or visitors to the area from other parts or the country or from overseas are also welcome to join and take part in activities whilst they are in the area.
*: Golf details: Events are organised at Courses* to suit experienced & improver players (and occasionally novice). Cost usually £20 to £30 (for 18 holes). The area has some attractive and quite challenging golf courses - see below for list. Novice golfers are recommended to first come to golf at Billingbear (or at Lavender park, Blackwater Valley, or to the pitch & putt 9 hole course at Downshire golf complex each of which we go to occasionally). The golf courses we have played in 2020 are Sunningdale Heath, Billingbear, Pine Ridge, Chobham, Royal Ascot, Downshire, Sherfield Oaks and Sand Martins. Other courses, that we visited in 2019, were Mill Ride, Blackwater Valley, Datchet, Hennerton, Hoebridge, Bird Hills, Dummer, Silvermere and Lavender Park (we hope to visit many of these 'other courses' again in 2021).
**: Card Games evenings details: Play or learn a variety of traditional card games (usually every 4 weeks). Games played include black maria, switch, whist, and trumps. Some experience of card games useful, but no experience of the particular card games played required.
***: To keep our membership list up to date (and perhaps to save money on meetup fees) 'new' members may be removed if they don't look at the groups meetup site at all over 12 months (or if they don't attend any events in their first two years of membership). Previously active members who are currently 'inactive' may be removed if they have not looked at this meetup site for 15 months (and not done any events in 18 months). However all are very welcome to rejoin later when they have the time to take part in group activities again.