addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Atlanta User Experience Group Message Board › Why are there so many UX jobs in Atlanta?

Why are there so many UX jobs in Atlanta?

A former member
Post #: 21
I saw on a UX career guide (http://www.onwardsear...­) that Atlanta was in the top 5 locations in the US for finding a UX job and was really surprised. Why is that? What are the big digital companies there that offer these jobs? Any insight you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks!
Don T.
DonTurner
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 1
Hi Vanessa,

Having spent most of my life launching and growing ventures in Boston, New York, and Silicon Valley, I have only been in Atlanta for about 3 years, but I do feel comfortable answering your question, which is a great one.

I would argue that there are several reasons for this. First and foremost is the fact that many industries have finally realized the value of User Experience in terms of how it can ultimately influence market adoption, loyalty, and thus revenue generation. There are recognized and advanced HCI/UX programs in great universities such as Georgia Institute of Technology, but the macro-level driver is the prevailing market demand.

Atlanta is also making solid progress in developing ecosystems to that are oriented around commercializing innovations in verticals such as Mobile, Healthcare IT, Merchant Financial Services, and Gaming (to name just a few), all of which benefit from understanding how humans interact with complex systems, data, and multi-channel touch points such as mobile, web, kiosks, digital signage, POS, virtual worlds, etc.

There are a few "media" companies in Atlanta, so the overall ranking would be inferior relative to New York or Silicon Valley, but as I mentioned above, there are many others industries and market forces that drive the ranking for Atlanta. I hope that my response was not too abstract, but I feel confident that my points do explain the ranking, and I am sure others will provide additional insight to round out my thinking. All the best...

-Don