You know what nobody has ever said to me? “I wish you’d covered even more in your 45 minute ‘Cloud Native Java’ talk!” And I listened! In this talk, we’ll look at Spring Cloud.next to support modern microservices development, focusing on the things that really matter (or, at least, the things we’ve got cooking in Spring Boot 2.0 and Spring Cloud Finchley, both due before April or so):
- functions-as-a-service with Spring Cloud Function. We’ve got FUNCTIONS (wrapped in apps, in containers, running on servers, in datacenters) - functional reactive REST endpoints (totally different meaning for “function” here, though)
- reactive programming with Spring Framework 5. Leverage flow control at every layer and make the most efficient use of every CPU when doing input/output. You’re going to need every bit of efficiency that you can get after you’ve installed the patches for Spectre and Meltdown!
- Kotlin. Yes, KOTLIN: you wanted Java and I’m giving it to you.. in libraries that I’ll use from Kotlin.
- messaging with Apache Kafka. Nothing funny here. It’s just awesome.
- Live on the edge with the new, reactive, rate-limiting, proxying, websocket-aware Spring Cloud Gateway
- ASCII art!
Josh Long (@starbuxman): Josh is a Spring Developer Advocate at Pivotal. Josh is a Java Champion, author of 5 books (including O’Reilly’s upcoming “Cloud Native Java: Designing Resilient Systems with Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, and Cloud Foundry”) and 3 best-selling video trainings (including “Building Microservices with Spring Boot Livelessons” w/ Phil Webb), and an open-source contributor (Spring Boot, Spring Integration, Spring Cloud, Activiti and Vaadin).
This is your user group. ASUG is always looking for speakers for our future meetings. Please consider sharing your experience with Spring or other relevant topics. Even if this is your first time speaking, we are happy to assist you in preparation or presentation! We want all of our members to feel free to speak about their own projects or any areas of interest. Please talk to us at a meeting or contact us through the meetup page to discuss your ideas.
Join us at 6:30 PM for networking, food, and drinks. At 7 PM, ASUG will give an introduction, followed by the presentation.
If you are unable to join in person, you can virtually attend via Zoom https://pivotal.zoom.us/j/112328294
Travel from MARTA:
From the North Avenue MARTA station, take the MARTA Bus to Ponce City Market. Buses run every 15 minutes.
Take the elevators closest to West Elm in Ponce City Market. We are on the 7th floor.