With Clojure 1.5 RC1 out, we'd like to spend some time looking at the new features in Clojure 1.5 (and possibly 1.4 features we missed). Rather than a single large presentation, we'd like to crowdsource the topics lightning talk style. That means we'd like everyone to take a look at the new list of features and (if you feel comfortable) pick one to explain to the group. This could be as simple a quick 2 minute dramatic reading of the release notes text or a 10-minute demo of the feature. You do not need to be an expert in the topic, you just need to be willing to spend a few minutes looking over the feature.
- threading macros - Paul Bostrom
- marker protocols - Sam Griffith
- metadata - Sam Griffith
- reducers - Norman Richards
- print-table - Norman Richards
- reader literals - (any volunteers?)
1.5 Release notes: https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/changes.md
- 2.1 Reducers
- 2.2 Reader Literals improved
- 2.3 clojure.core/set-agent-send-executor!, set-agent-send-off-executor!, and send-via
- 2.4 New threading macros
- 2.5 Column metadata captured by reader
- 2.6 gen-class improvements
- 2.7 Support added for marker protocols
- 2.8 clojure.pprint/print-table output compatible with Emacs Org mode
- 2.9 clojure.string/replace and replace-first handle special characters more predictably
- 2.10 Set and map constructor functions allow duplicates
- 2.11 More functions preserve metadata
1.4 release notes, if someone wants to jump back in time: https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/8b52c00fa57563d5e7757c09cdd6379edd3c62ca/changes.md
If you are interested a topic, please add a comment to the meetup and we'll add you to the list. No topic/talk is too small, (feel free to grab more than one) and no experience with the feature is necessary.
Side topic, time permitting:
Norman will talk about the Cloudbees clickstart group project project and our github.
Thanks again to Capital Factory for giving us a space to meet at!