Austin has several other board game meetups, but I find that usually lighter games are played at those. This group is to organize longer, heavier board games. Don't be scared -- I don't mean we'll only be playing 10-hour Twilight Imperium marathons! Some examples of the kinds of games I have in mind are:
Agricola Amerigo Battlestar Galactica Bora Bora Brass Castles Of Burgundy Caverna Caylus Dominant Species Endeavor Food Chain Magnate Gaia Project Great Zimbabwe Imperial Settlers Keyflower Keyper Madeira Orleans Power Grid Puerto Rico Ra Russian Railroads Terra Mystica Terraforming Mars Twilight Struggle Viticulture War Of The Ring
(Not that I'm ruling out Twilight Imperium, mind you...)
Basically, if you enjoy longer games with more depth and strategy, or if you want to give this type of game a try, then this is the group for you! We are happy to teach, so don't worry if you haven't played any of this type of game before.
I hope it goes without saying that members of the group should:
• Be polite and friendly
• Not take in-game actions personally
• Not be sore losers OR poor winners
• This group is not a singles/dating group. Do not message people randomly if you have not met them in person, and even if you HAVE met them, please keep in mind that being in this group only means that someone wants to play board games. Friendliness does not equate to romantic interest.
• Inappropriate, hurtful, unkind, predatory, or threatening behavior are completely unacceptable. This includes but is absolutely not limited to sexism, racism, homophobia, and other forms of identity intolerance.
• PLEASE let me know if you experience or witness any of the above behavior. I want the group to be a welcoming place for people to get together and play games. I will do what is necessary to make that happen.
• If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.