addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Austin Writers Meetup Group Message Board › Jumpstarting the Poetic Muse

Jumpstarting the Poetic Muse

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all. My muse has been experiencing a long and persistent dry spell, and I wanted to try (yet again) to jumpstart it. Since I started out as a writer by writing poetry, I thought I'd go back to those roots. So here's where you guys come in. One of my favorite poetry exercises is one I picked up from PPS (Pathetic Poets Society - http://www.pathetic.org­) and it's called Topics. How it works (in this case) is that you think up a word or phrase, give it to me, and that becomes the title of a poem that I write. The idea is that the title inspires the piece, but that can take many different directions, not always the one the topic-giver necessarily had in mind. Topics can be quirky, serious, nonsensical, whatever you want. To see some past examples (don't judge too harshly) take a look at my long-neglected library over at PPS: http://www.pathetic.org/library/613­ . The ones written under this kind of exercise have Topic: Title as the title. There are some in the main library, and lots in the folder called Topics.

So! If you'd like to help me out, post a topic or two here. And if you'd also like the participate and write on some topics, feel free to join in!