What we're about
*AVID WORLD TRAVELERS and WORLD CULTURES LOVERS*
Welcome to Our ROUNDTABLE!!
WARNING: Our Group is NOT for "the FAINT OF HEART"!!
TRAVEL is FATAL to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. ~~ Mark Twain
The WORLD is a BOOK, and those who do NOT travel read only ONE PAGE!! ~~ Saint Augustine
The JOURNEY is the REWARD!! ~~ Chinese Proverb
"LIFE" is a JOURNEY, NOT a DESTINATION!! It is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the PEOPLES, PLACES and AWESOME MOMENTS that take our breath away. Be an AVID WORLD TRAVELER (NOT a TOURIST) and a WORLD CULTURES LOVER with an insightful GLOBAL view of our WORLD!! Let's bloom where we are planted and commit ourselves to bring POSITIVE influences to those around us! :-)
As an Avid World Traveler and a World Cultures Lover, each one of us holds the "KEY" to the mutual understanding of our global cultural diversities!! Be willing to respect and embrace those cultures that are different from ours with maturity and openness, while being proud of our own. Every culture has both positive and negative components, as there is NO perfect culture in our imperfect world. Our WORLD is NOT all about "you" or "I", but "ALL of US"!!
We might not be able to change the whole world on our own, but we can certainly improve our interpersonal relationships between ourselves and those who are of different cultural, ethnic and racial backgrounds, through our willingness to be receptive and open-minded in our interactions with one another. Our lives, in turn, will be enriched by our willingness to learn about cultural diversities WITHOUT pre-judgment, and learn to cherish our differences. Indeed, it does take an incredibly courageous individual to step out of his or her own "COMFORT ZONE" to be a World Cultures Lover through our own World Travel Adventures!!
The whole WORLD has been literally brought to our doorstep through various cultural events available in our area!! Let’s explore the WORLD together through our Travel Talk Events, World Cultures Appreciation Events, as well as occasional Group Travel Adventures!!
WHO WE ARE: We are an inclusive, "not-for-profit" and "self-funded" professional social group of Avid World Travelers and World Cultures Lovers, who simply share an incurable passion for world cultural exploration through our own extensive travels. Our Organizer and Speakers (fellow Avid World Travelers): They are NOT financially compensated for their countless precious hours and enormous efforts, through which they dedicate themselves for the SOLE benefits of our fellow members. Our Members: They come from diverse backgrounds in culture, race, ethnicity, nationality, marital status, Myers-Briggs Personality Types, age ranges (20's-90's!), and various professions (CPAs, artists, biologist, physicists, attorneys, tax experts, IT professionals, psychologists, linguists, educators, authors, engineers, scientists, healthcare professionals, social advocates, mathematicians, business consultants, economists, financial advisers, management, journalists, veterinarians, entrepreneurs, active retirees....just to name a few). This is a GREAT "community" to share your deep passion for world travels and global cultures -- The MORE you "INVEST" yourself, the MORE you'll receive in return!! :-) We are ALWAYS eager to learn from one another through our countless Travel Talk Events given by our dedicated fellow Avid World Travelers. We also participate in various world cultural events held in the DC Metro area.
MEMBERSHIP EXPECTATIONS: Our membership is FREE!! The "QUALITY", NOT the "QUANTITY", of our membership base is the most important factor for our success, as we retain only the loyal and dedicated members who share mutual passions for the World Travels and World Cultures.
* Professional Conduct*: Yes, the "Golden Rules" are highly practiced here!! Our members are NOT required to "like" everyone, but ARE expected to "respect" each other, as how the intellectually AND emotionally mature professionals should behave. :-)
* For-Profit Business Promotions or Solicitations*: Our members are expected NOT to use their memberships to solicit or promote ANY "for-profit" business (e.g., tours) for themselves or others with whom they have financial or relational interest for personal gains (e.g., FREE trips). REMINDER: Violators will be immediately banned from our group!!
* FACE-to-FACE Attendance*: Our members are expected to be "active participants", NOT simply "passive observers", by actively attending our annual events held in the DC Metro accessible area. Active Members: Those who attend 12 or more Travel Talk and/or World Cultures Appreciation Events annually will be honored at our Annual Appreciation Events, as they faithfully support our activities and are the TRUE contributors of our success!! Members with "Repeated" No-Shows and/or "Late Cancellations": These members' unprofessional behaviors often negatively affect our Organizer, Speakers (who selflessly dedicate countless hours of their precious time to prepare for our events), the hosting restaurants, and our group's long- standing excellent reputation. Therefore, these members will be banned from our group resulted from their own inconsiderate and disrespectful actions.
MEMBERS' WEEKLY TRAVEL TALK (TT) EVENTS: Indeed, it's definitely a "privilege" to be our Speakers! Our dedicated members have been "paying forward" by proactively sharing their own exciting travel adventures with us through countless presentations in a very supportive environment, while "reliving" their amazing memories throughout the preparation process. Due to high interest among our members in giving their own TT events of their trips, coupled with limited slots on our event calendar, we give our ACTIVE members the "top" priorities to be our Speakers. Our Speakers will be honored as the "STARS" of our "SPEAKERS' HALL OF FAME" and celebrated at our Annual Appreciation Events for their invaluable contributions!! Through our members' presentations, we all learn from each other as Avid World Travelers and have been checking off our "World Traveler's Bucket List"!! :-) To date, our dedicated Speakers (our fellow Avid World Travelers/ Members) have given us at least 455 amazing presentations covering more than 155 countries!!
ANNUAL APPRECIATION EVENTS: We celebrate our members' valuable contributions made by our Speakers and "Non-Speaker" Active Members by treating them to delicious World Cuisines and special Thank-You gifts at our Annual Appreciation Events! We also give special recognition to our "Model Members", "Non- Speaker" Loyal Active Members and Donors for their outstanding contributions!! :-)
GROUP TRAVEL EVENTS: Occasionally we arrange group trips for our members and their guests to explore various global and domestic destinations together to create countless memorable travel experiences, while checking off our "World Traveler's Bucket List"! To date, we have traveled together to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Lithuania, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Cuba, Turkey, Israel....Just to name a few. :-)
OUR GROUP TRIPS FOR 2019 (More to come!):
1) 5/22-6/4/19: 14-Day Armenia & Georgia Discovery - https://www.meetup.com/Avid-World-Travelers-and-Cultures-Lovers/events/254726525/?rv=co1&_xtd=gatlbWFpbF9jbGlja9oAJGFjMTQzN2QwLWExN2UtNGI2YS05Mzg2LWM3MTAxYmRkZDZjNg
2) 9/3-9/17/19: 15-Day Indonesia: Java & Bali - https://www.meetup.com/Avid-World-Travelers-and-Cultures-Lovers/events/254545051/?rv=co1&_xtd=gatlbWFpbF9jbGlja9oAJDI1YzIxNzdhLWFhYjEtNDhkMS05MDZmLTgyNmM4NjkwMDI5OQ
3) 9/19-9/29/19: 11-Day Classic Malaysia & Singapore - https://www.meetup.com/Avid-World-Travelers-and-Cultures-Lovers/events/243699038/?rv=co1&_xtd=gatlbWFpbF9jbGlja9oAJDg5NjdjZjJlLWFkNTYtNGZjOS1iMDJiLWI1YzM0NWFjMTdhZQ
** WORLD CULTURES AND ETIQUETTE **
• Culture of Africa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Africa) • Etiquette in Africa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_Africa)• Culture of Asia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Asia) • Etiquette in Asia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_Asia)• Culture of Australia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Australia) Culture of New Zealand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_New_Zealand) • Etiquette in Australia and New Zealand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_Australia_and_New_Zealand)• Culture of Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Canada) Culture of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States)• Etiquette in Canada and the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_Canada_and_the_United_States)• Culture of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Europe) • Etiquette in Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_Europe)• Latin American Culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_culture) • Etiquette in Latin America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_Latin_America)• Etiquette in the Middle East (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_the_Middle_East)• Worldwide etiquette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_etiquette)• Customs and etiquette in Chinese dining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customs_and_etiquette_in_Chinese_dining)• Etiquette of Indian dining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_of_Indian_dining)• Nonverbal Communication – Cultural Differences (http://erc.msh.org/mainpage.cfm?file=4.6.0.htm&module=provider&language=English)• The Ultimate Guide to Tipping (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2960234/A-guide-tipping-etiquette-world.html)• 10 Surprising Ways To Offend People In Other Countries (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTE0G9amZNk)• Stereotypes Intercultural Communication (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQtoyStMe4)
By bringing the Avid World Travelers and World Cultures Lovers of ALL races, cultures and nationalities together through various events, our vision of a “Cultural Bridge” is coming ALIVE over the years!! INDEED, WE ARE AN AWESOME TEAM!! :-)
If you wish to meaningfully enrich your own life though GLOBAL travels, I sincerely encourage you to challenge yourself and step out your "comfort zone" by sharing your travel adventures with us, while learning countless travel journeys from your fellow Avid World Travelers and World Cultures Lovers as well! Be a "Positive Game Changer"!! Will you? If yes, see you at our upcoming 60+ events!! :-)
Elise, Organizer, Avid World Travelers and Cultures Lovers Roundtable!! (http://www.meetup.com/Avid-World-Travelers-and-Culture-Lovers/)
"Life....is 10% of "what happens to us" and 90% of "how we react to it"! Celebrate what's right with the world by serving others....Celebrate the best in people by building them up!! Bloom where we are planted and spread positive energy to those around us. We travel NOT to escape life, but for life NOT to escape us!"