addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Axen Ft. Lauderdale Message Board › Adversity - Mother of Necessity

Adversity - Mother of Necessity

Dynamo
user 19537791
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Hi AXENites,

In Plato's Republic the philosopher states that "Necessity is the Mother of Invention".

What does this mean for us and our goals? Often we have goals that we are striving for but we ignore the necessities of what we need. As humans we don't like to be outside of our comfort zone or put ourselves in positions where "things are necessary".

The #1 reason I see why people don't have the life they want or are not getting the goals they want achieved is because they're 'trying' instead of 'doing'. If it's not clear, this question will make it clearer for you, ask yourself;

Is my behavior towards my goal that of someone who WANTS to make my goal happen or is my behavior that of someone who NEEDS it to happen?

I'll give you an example, that is famous in the self-help community. There is a young man who wants to be successful in business and he finds a brilliant older business man that has all the success that the young man aspires for and approaches the older business man to ask him for mentorship. The brilliant older business man says sure meet him at 4:30am on the beach at a specific location near the water, the young man finds it odd that a business mentorship meeting would take place at such a location but can't believe his good luck that the business man agreed to give him time, so he agrees to meet him at the designated spot.

The next morning the young man arrives on time at 4:30am and the business man acknowledges him and quickly asks to follow the business man deep into the water all the way until the water reaches their shoulders. Then the business man asks, "Are you ready for your lesson?" the young man nods yes and the business man grabs the young man by the shoulders and holds him under water. The young business man surprised begins to struggle but realizes there must be a lesson and holds his breath...but the businessman doesn't let him up for air, holding him down as the young man struggles. Finally in a fit of panic from the sensation of drowning as the world was turning black from lack of oxygen the young man is able to wrestle, claw, scratch and punch his way out of the grasp of the businessman and come up for air. Inbetween gasps of breath the young man spit out words of anger,

"You CRAZY OLD MAN!! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?! Do you GET EXCITED FROM TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUNG PEOPLE BY COMING OUT HERE AND HUMILIATING THEM?!"

The old businessman calmly looking the young man in the eyes without a hint of anything but wisdom and says,

"When you DESIRE success and NEED it as much as you need AIR when you were DROWNING -- that's when you'll be SUCCESSFUL".

Turning around the old business man waded through the water back to the beach saying over his shoulder, "That's the lesson, now go make it happen".

As great as AXEN can be for socializing, for support, for encouragement -- the best gift it can give it's members is in the form of a challenge. Adversity is the sister of necessity, the idea is that necessity is a MUST, it is adversity that must be overcome. Adversity and resistance is part of life, but unless you make it necessary to overcome you will avoid it.

This week I encourage you to reflect on whether you are living with your feet in the water up to your ankles or if you're in the deep end where you're gasping for air and either learning to swim or sink. You see I'm not asking you to sell all your possessions, mortgage your house and bet it all, I'm asking you to fully buy-in on what you want safely, the fear you fear isn't fatal towards your goal it only feels that way. The risks we take are measured, but are you earnestly clawing and scraping with the same desire as a drowning man yearning for a breath or are you just walking in ankle deep water?

See you in the deep ocean (on the way to the Mountaintop),

Dynamo