addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Axen Ft. Lauderdale Message Board › The Brief and Wondrous Life has of Oscar Wao

The Brief and Wondrous Life has of Oscar Wao

Dynamo
user 19537791
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Hi AXENites,

I just finished reading the Pulitzer Prize winning book, “the Brief and Wondorous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Díaz (Dominicano de lo mío - que lo que loco), the book is incredible I highly recommend it, it has changed me for the better as a human being. I mention this book because in part I haven’t been believing in myself as much recently, I started to have questions about my self-esteem and self-worth...old stories. I read a lot of self help books and personal development and this is the first time in a while I’ve read a work of fiction.

Art is magic.

The same way great music, an amazing painting or mother nature touches something inside of us all, something incomprehensible and well beyond the realm of words — more primordial than language, a primal beingness that lies deep beyond our conscious mind that is felt and can’t be fully explained, that’s what was awakened in this book for me.

The book is about a Nerd from the Dominican Republic growing up in the US with his family (I’m Dominican and I’m a nerd so it spoke to me).

But what really spoke to me was this main character Oscar, that struggles with depression, self-worth/self-esteem, art and love. I saw how in many ways I have been living out an old set of stories that I can totally see no longer apply but I carry the baggage from that old journey. Oscar helped me unpack from that long ago journey and put away the souvenirs of an old identity that no longer is needed, it doesn’t serve my current journey.

Thank you Junot Diaz for such a great book. What’s really interesting about Junot is that he struggled with the same thing Oscar and I struggled with too, self doubt and self-worth. He didn’t write for years, he was successful early on at 25-26 years old with a book of short stories called “Drown”, after that he spent the next 10-11 years not writing, he didn’t write his first full novel, The Brief and Wonderful life Oscar Wao until 14 years after his initial debut book. He won the Pulitzer Prize for his novel as well as many other prizes. Like Oscar and myself and some of you reading this too, he struggled, but sometimes there’s some things worth struggling for.

See you on the Mountaintop,

Dynamo