What we're about
Upcoming events (5)
Just like its tongue-in-cheek moniker, everything about Mezcalito echoes an ironically cool, laid back vibe. Heavily inspired by the Latino street-art culture of Los Angeles, the restaurant and bar on the corner of Lonsdale Street and Tattersalls Lane in the city is constantly evolving; at Mezcalito, DJ’s work the decks, the bar and tables are built using reclaimed timber from Princes Pier and a neon Ghostbusters displaygreets you upon arrival. Take the seedy side of an Amsterdam bender and drive a donkey disco through it at full volume and you get where we are coming from. A disco mishmash of psychedelic raunch open every Friday and Saturday night with Mexican tequilas and cocktails flowing till late and food available from our big brother, the killer Mexican restaurant, Touché Hombre. A ridiculously long list of tequilas.... It's gonna get messy!! Happy hour special until 7:00 PM: $10 Tommy’s Margaritas and $5 house beer We're in the Mezcalito bar which is next door and part of the Touché Hombre restaurant.
Set at ground level above its wonderful older brother the Sherlock Holmes Tavern, is the relatively new Dr. Watson’s Bar (DWB), former site of a sandwich shop, now converted into a companion piece for its subterraneous relation. Long, rectangular, bright and airy, DWB gives workers two options to lunch/dine/gather in neat, quite typical pub surroundings with the common theme of Baker St evident. Much is done in this space, with drinking area/tables at the front, elegant english styled bar mid-field with tables and chairs to sit and dine, and small kitchen to the rear. Straightforward approach to food, good offer of imported English ales, delivered expertly by the staff in a most engaging manner. No faults here.
This is a cosy little English style pub where you get friendly while squeezing past one another. The staff are super friendly and up for a good chat when its quiet. There are also tables outside with heaters for the colder nights. We will have use of the upstairs area to ourselves which caters to about 50 pp. Drink specials TBA. Good selection of craft beers, and their pizzas and tapas are amazing.
"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin The great city of Melbourne was founded on August[masked], less than two years later one could have stood on the corner of Collins and Queen Streets and, through the gum trees, looked upon the site where the Mitre Tavern now stands. Sir Charles Ebden, previously an eminent citizen of Sydney attended a land sale in June 1837 and bought allotments 5,6 and 7 of Block 14 which gave him frontage of 3 chains in Collins Street and which embraced the Mitre Tavern site, all this for the princely sum of £136. Two years later, Sir Charles sold the land. The Bank of Australia bought a part and the rest was subdivided. In that subdivision provision was made for what is now Bank Place. On one of the lots facing this lane a private home was built, the owner is no longer known but the two-story structure is now called the Mitre Tavern and is (as documented by the Melbourne City Council) the oldest building in Melbourne. In 1868 Mr Henry Thompson became the first of many publicans at the Mitre Tavern with his successful application for a Liquor License. Under a succession of licensees it has remained a Tavern for nearly 140 years. The Melbourne Dog Club had its inaugural meeting and many more in later years at the Mitre Tavern. The patronage of hunting, coursing and racing men made a sportsman’s rendevous of the Mitre and we find the first Victorian Polo Club, regularly meeting there. The little tavern stayed as the city grew and, in 1923, an order was issued that six bedrooms be added, the kitchen renovated and the words ‘Accomodation for Visitors’ be painted on the front wall. The licencee contested the order maintaining that the number and quality of the meals served there compensated the lack of accommodation and that altering the building would be an act of vandalism. Fortunately the licencee’s appeal succeeded. In 1930 a huge crowd of bidders attended an auction which saw the Tavern passed in at 22,250 pounds. It was subsequently bought by the Royal Insurance Company which planned to demolish it to make room for additions to its Collins Street building. The Mitre stubbornly hung on until 1937 when the Company had a change of heart and reprieved the little inn again. Mr W.K. Fethers, then Manager of the Royal Insurance Company, described the Tavern’s Gothic façade as a splendid example of the architectural period. He was supported by a contemporary newspaper which said the Mitre Tavern is an architectural gem and a relic of the pioneering and hunting days. Few people who enjoy the ales here are aware of the fact that this cosy cottage style pub spawned the name of the Mitre 10 hardware chain. Two of the founding members were drinking at the Tavern when inspiration struck: 'mitre' is a hardware term. The '10'? - well, it had a nicer ring to it than Mitre 2. Across the road from the Mitre stands the Savage club, which was built by Sir William Clarke, Australia’s first baronet. The Mitre’s connection to The Clarke family is a bit unfortunate with Sir Rupert Clarke’s mistress, Connie Waugh, said to have hung herself in the Mitre. Her ghost is believed to have been seen, haunting the rooms and halls of the tavern even now. Today, the venue that was a base for hunting the many deer that roamed the nearby bush has become patronised largely by business people looking to escape the rush of the city.