What we're about
Batona Hiking Club of Philadelphia was founded in 1928. The name is derived from the phrase “Back To Nature,” indicating its original (and current) purpose: to enable people, who spend most of their time in cities and suburbs, to experience the natural environment through hiking. Today, Batona Hiking Club retains the same joyous spirit of discovery and camaraderie that inspired its founders. Every weekend the club offers both long and short hikes within a reasonable driving distance of Philadelphia in state and local parks in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and New Jersey. If you are interested in one of our hikes and have questions about that hike, please contact the leader listed in the hike description.
Batona also helps to maintain segments of the Batona Trail, the Horse-Shoe Trail, and the Appalachian Trail. Trail maintenance is usually scheduled in Spring and Autumn. Work generally involves clearing brush from trails and painting blazes. All are welcome on hikes or on trail maintenance activities. For detailed information, directions to trail head, and weather advisories/cancellations, please contact hike leader or refer to the Batona website: http://www.batona.wildapricot.org .
Batona is a membership club with an annual dues of $3.00. This includes a six month, online schedule, with weekly reminders of upcoming hikes, trail maintenance, vacations and events. There is a nominal charge of $1.00 for every hike. Membership is not required to participate in our activities. Please be aware that DOGS ARE NOT PERMITTED ON ANY BATONA HIKE.
Each hike description includes a meeting place. Most of our meeting places are listed below. If hikers are interested in carpooling from the meeting place to the trail head, there is a shared expense given to the driver which includes $0.10 per mile, round trip, plus tolls. The hike leader will ALWAYS meet hikers at the meeting place, rain or shine, unless the hike description specifically states "rain cancels."
Please join us for a beautiful hike in the woods.
KEY TO MEETING PLACES
● B & A = Broad and Arch Streets in front of McDonald’s, 19102
● F & B = Frankford Avenue and Bridge Street (Walgreens parking lot) 19124
● G & R = Germantown & Rex Avenues, Philadelphia, PA 19118
● 69th St. = 69th Street Terminal, 69th and Market Streets, Upper Darby, PA 19082
● Fern Rock = Station parking lot access is off 11th St. between Grange and Nedro, 19141. If taking subway, do not exit to Nedro Ave from the station. Go directly to parking lot to meet leader.
● 309 Cinema = AMC 309 Cinema 9, 1210 Bethlehem Pike, North Wales, PA 19454 (N-W corner of Routes 309 and 63, in parking lot in front of theater)
● K of P (King of Prussia) = 211 Mall Blvd, King of Prussia, PA 19406 (park at the far end of Fox and Hound Restaurant)
● Ply. Mtg. = Macy’s parking lot at south end of Plymouth Meeting Mall, off Germantown Avenue, 19462
● Red Lion = Red Lion Diner, Routes 70 and 206, Southampton Township, NJ 08088 (meet in parking lot on west side of diner)
● Warrington = 650 Easton Road (Route 611) Warrington, PA 18976 (park in 1st row of Home Depot parking lot overlooking Wendy's)
● Macy's at Springfield Mall = 1250 Baltimore Pike, Springfield, PA 19064 (park in front of Macy's close to and facing Baltimore Pike)