What we're about
What is the Beautiful Struggle Book Club?
The Beautiful Struggle Book Club (BSBC) is a literary community in which members of all races and backgrounds engage in meaningful literary discussion of both classic and contemporary literature written by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) authors with a particular focus on fiction and non-fiction from authors of the African diaspora (African-American, Afro-Caribbean, Afro-Latinx), Africa, and Indigenous communities. We also read works from the Latinx and Asian diasporas.
In addition to literary fiction and the classics, we try to include novels from a variety of genres and subgenres, including but not limited to historical fiction, historical romance, contemporary romance, biographies/memoirs, mystery/crime, historical nonfiction, science-fiction, fantasy, folklore, and magical realism.
This book club is for you if:
- You appreciate great books and seek to decolonize your bookshelf and expand your awareness of civil rights issues, domestic and global racism, and the intersectionality of race, gender, class, and sexuality in BIPOC communities.
- You love literature and use books as an empathy-building tool to learn about and engage with experiences different than your own.
- You enjoy enriching conversations about books that go beyond the story's surface elements and delve deeper into subtextual literary details and their emotional resonances for the reader.
- You enjoy having great conversations and learning from others' perspectives in a warm and friendly intellectual environment!
Let's read together!
*Meetings are once a month on Saturdays.*
This is a book club, not school!
- You are not required to finish the book but be advised discussions will not be spoiler-free!
- There are no attendance awards! We know people have lives. You aren’t required to attend every meeting. In fact, we’d prefer you pick and choose the meetings you’re really interested in based on the discussed book. If you’re not feeling the book, please don’t feel obligated to join, we'll see you next time!