What we're about
Welcome to the Bedfordshire Walking Club, we walk most weekends throughout the year, whatever the weather, mostly around the counties of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Hertfordshire. We also organise some great walking weekends away to some of the best hiking areas around the UK.
Be aware that BWC walks are NOT gentle rambles, we keep to a good pace with few breaks, and our walks are at least ten miles long. So, if you are looking for a gentle stroll in the countryside with lots of breaks and time to take photos, we are probably not the club for you. However, if you are after some great exercise with friendly, like-minded people, have a reasonable standard of fitness, and like a walk that is a bit of a challenge then you have come to the right place.
We are a relaxed and friendly group of all different ages and we make everyone very welcome. Our hikes are a great chance to meet new people, make new friends and get to know the countryside. Many people come on their own but you are welcome to bring along a guest if you want.
Come and join us, make some good friends, get some great exercise and experience some of the fantastic UK countryside.
Before signing up please read the guidelines below:
• Our walks are between 10 – 20 miles long and at a pace of over 3mph with only a short break halfway. Please make sure you are fit enough to complete the distance before you sign up for a walk.
The details page of each event will give a full description of the walk, what to expect and a recommended fitness level. If you are not sure that you will be up to the walk please contact the walk leader for more information.
• ALL members will require a name (not just initials) and profile photo that clearly shows your head, shoulders and face at a reasonably close distance so you are recognisable. Group photos, photos of children or pets are not acceptable. This is for the safety and piece of mind of the other members, failure to comply may result in a delay in your application being accepted.
• Please make sure we are able to contact you. Your profile privacy settings should be set so at least a walk organiser is able to get in touch with you to inform you of any possible changes.
• We hold walks all year round, in all weathers. Please make sure you come suitably dressed for the terrain and weather conditions with suitable clothing, wet weather gear and sturdy footwear. We don’t always get chance to stop at a pub or café so you should also bring water, a snack and maybe a hot drink in the winter.
•There will be a small charge for the walks, this is to cover the admin costs of the walk leader and running the website. Payment is made in cash at the start of each walk.
• Hiking and hillwalking can be demanding. Each individual member is responsible for their own actions and involvement.
Meetup Terms of Service Section 6, which all members have agreed to, lays out the details of liability relating to a group or an event. Anyone attending one of our events is subject to those terms and conditions.
If a member brings along a guest that is not a member of meetup they are subject to the above Terms of Service and attend at their own risk.
Although the leaders of the club walks are very experienced hikers, we do NOT hold any official qualifications and neither the walk leader or the club accepts responsibility for any accidents or injuries of any member while attending a walk.
• We limit the numbers for each of our walks to keep a small close-knit group. So, if you sign up for a walk and then cannot make it, please cancel your RSVP as soon as possible to give other members chance to come along. Those members who make a habit of changing their RSVP the day before, or being a no show will be removed from the club.
• Sorry but we do not allow dogs on any of our walks.
If you have any further questions about the club please don't hesitate contact the organiser for more information.