Corporate Formation & Legal Necessities
Forming Your Company and Working with Employees and Contractors
Date: February 15, 2013
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m (or thereabouts)
Location: Towson Global Incubator, 7801 York Rd #342, Towson, MD
Price: $199 if you Register by Jan. 31, 2013. $249 after that.
(Breakfast and Lunch included)
Have you been thinking about incorporating a business but not sure how to go about it? Have you already started doing business but haven’t incorporated or skipped a few steps in the process? Or, if you have already formed your business, are you struggling with issues relating to employees or contractors? If so, this hands-on, intense one-day workshop is for you! Since this is a BizWorkshop, you’re not just going to leave with vital information, but actual completed documents and takeaways you can use to make progress.
During this half-day workshop, you will receive critical information on the various options and decisions to be made in forming a corporation, with both legal and tax considerations. You will leave the workshop with an understanding of Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), S-Corporations, C-Corporations, and even the new B-Corporation. In addition, you will get a hands-on look at operating and shareholder agreements and get a template starting point for both.
Finally, you will learn about the legal necessities in working with employees and contractors. Learn about key differences and requirements between employees and independent contractors. We will walk through a template agreement for independent contractors, and take a look at employment agreements and post employment restrictions with a template as a take away. We will also take a close look at Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) and Non-Compete Agreements.
In addition to hearing the workshop presentations, you will receive:
• Formation of your company in Maryland or Delaware (not including filing fees)
• Template operating agreement and shareholder agreements
• Template independent contractor agreement
• Sample employment agreement with post employment restrictions.
• Sample Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)
• Sample Non-Compete Agreement
The Boot Camp will be led by Jeremy Garner of Bowie & Jensen. All legal forms and guidance provided during the Boot Camp are to be used only for general educational purposes. The Boot Camp is not to be construed as specific legal advice for you or your business. The preferred strategy for financing your business and protecting your company’s interests will vary based upon individual facts and circumstances.
9:00 – 10:00 SESSION 1 – Forming Your Business
• Learn about the various business forms including LLCs, S-Corporations, C-Corporations, and even the new B-Corporation.
• Learn about tax considerations for these different corporate structures and their equity incentives.
• Form your business! We will have paralegals ready to form your simple entities in Maryland or Delaware.
[15 minute break]
10:15 – 11:15 SESSION 2 – Operating and Shareholder Agreements
• Learn about necessary corporate formation supporting documents, why they are important, and how to protect owner / shareholder interests.
• Walk through a sample operating agreement and get a template for your use.
• Walk through a sample shareholder agreement and get a template for your use.
[15 minute break]
11:30 – 12:30 SESSION 3 – Employment and Independent Contractor Agreements
• What you need to know about independent contractors and employees, and how to stay out of legal hot water
• Learn the most important aspects of employment agreements and get a sample template
• Learn the more important aspect of independent contractor agreements and get a sample template
[1 hour break – lunch included – Network, Follow-up, and Group Conversations]
1:30 – 2:30 SESSION 4 – Non-Competes & Non-Disclosures & Wrap-up
•What are Non-Compete Agreements and what are they useful for?
•Work on and take home a sample Non-Compete Agreement
•What are Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) and what are they useful for?
•Work on and take home a sample Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)
•Wrap up with some loose ends to consider for basic “corporate hygiene”
• Scheduled 1:1 sessions, up to a half hour each with each of the participants. Please sgn up in advance if you are interested
[15 minute break]
2:30 – 3:30 1:1 Sessions
• Additional time set aside for 1:1 sessions with attendees, if need be.
BizWorkshops and Bowie & Jensen are looking forward to the event. It should be very good to help “raise the bar” for the quality of startups and small businesses in the Baltimore area. Attendees will walk out with an entity formed and templates of major documents with a good idea of the issues to be considered in relation to each document.
Guidance tailored specifically to your business on company formation, employee and contractor considerations, and intellectual proprety Paralegal to help with corporate filings, contracts, and agreements Food: breakfast, lunch, and break included! What's not Included:
State filing fees To the extent that agreements need to be made between your founders, employees, or contractors, you might only leave with the framework of the legal document and possible decisions. Afterwards, you can follow up to complete such documents at a pre-arranged cost, if any. Pre-Requisites:
This is important -- in order to make sure that there's no conflict of interest, Bowie & Jensen will conduct a quick conflict of interest check in their firm. So, if you are interested in attending, please first send your company name and the key founders / members of your company to [masked] so we can run a quick check. Second, you will need to sign an Engagement Letter so that Bowie & Jensen can represent you and cover any malpractice issues. This engagement letter carries no additional cost or obligations for you or your company.
Attendance is limited to 25 on a first-come, first-served basis!
This is a great deal that will help you get where you need to be quickly and at a low cost.