Welcome to our regular Bitcoin & Blockchain meetup! Worried about capital controls, high taxes, bank deposit confiscations, endless KYC & AML bureaucracy, inflation (Greece under the drachma), bank deposit haircuts (Cyprus) or communications surveillance as described by Snowden? Then join this meetup focused on Cryptoanarchy & Cypherpunks!
1) Can you imagine a permanent space in Athens dedicated to cryptocurrencies and Cryptoanarchy? Juraj Bednár will talk to us about Paralelni Polis (Παράλληλη Πόλη), a 3-storey building in Prague that houses the Institute of Cryptoanarchy, the Bitcoin Cafe (that only accepts payment in cryptocurrency!), co-working space and the annual Hacker's Congress. Juraj is now starting Paralelna Polis in Bratislava and is visiting Athens to share his experiences with us. He will also touch upon Positive Libertarianism i.e. freeing yourself and not waiting for an enlightened government to save you.
Juraj Bednár is a serial entrepreneur. He currently runs Citadelo and Hacktrophy, companies that do ethical hacking and bug bounty programs. He is a co-founder of Progressbar Hackerspace in Bratislava, Paralelní Polis Prague and Paralelná Polis Bratislava. His interests range from cryptoanarchy, cryptocurrencies, IT security, AI to biohacking.
2) Dimitris Tsapakidis will recount the history of Cypherpunks in the 90s and the projects that preceded Bitcoin:
- Phil Zimmermann's & Hal Finney's PGP
- David Chaum's Digicash e-cash
- Eric Hughes' Cypherpunk Manifesto
- Timothy May's Cyphernomicon
- Adam Back's Hashcash and the RSA munitions t-shirt
- Mixmaster Anonymous remailers
- Crypto Wars and the Clipper chip
and touch upon modern tools:
- end-to-end encrypted communications e.g. Signal, Viber, Whatsapp
- Bitcoin and anonymous cryptocurrencies such as Monero and Zcash
Dimitris Tsapakidis is an Information Security consultant and curator of https://WeAcceptBitcoin.gr
Attendance is free, just show up!
If you never had any cryptocurrency, please install any Bitcoin wallet on your phone or tablet and we will give you a small amount of Bitcoin. You can try the Coinomi (https://coinomi.com) wallet for iOS and Android.
After the event join us for food & drinks at the Athens Status rooftop bar & restaurant: https://www.facebook.com/statuspointofview/