What we’re about
Boardgame Monkeys is a meetup group for BOARDGAMERS and ROLEPLAYERS in Brussels.
All of our events are conducted in English. We are open to players of all skill levels, so whether you are an experienced gamer or just interested in finding more about the hobby, come and join us. Please note that this group is for people interested in modern boardgames and generally does not cater to players of traditional games such as Chess, Go etc.
BGM hosts two kinds of events:
- Join and Play!/No Work All Play!: Anybody can come and join a large group of gamers for a game. These sessions take place on the first and third Wednesday of the month. Join the event and indicate in the comments what table you would like to join.
- Afterwork/Weekend Sessions: Individual game tables hosted by our event organisers any day of the week. Just join the event and you are good to go.
Once you are a member of the group, you are free to join either type of event. Please always RSVP before attending. Over time, you might become interested in hosting tables yourself. If that is the case, you might qualify for organizer status after a while.
If you have any questions about how anything in the group works, contact our Membership Manager, Gianluca. If you would like to a host table yourself, after having played a few times with us, please also get in touch with him and he can set up events for you.
Lastly, if you have any complaints or concern, get in touch with the BGM President, Oliver.
You can find many of us on Discord here: https://discord.gg/K37h2zZ
Please note the following rules:
- We have more than 20 Event Organizers who are hosting regular tables to share their passion. Respect their time, energy and explanations. Be on time for your session!
- We bring our personal games with us or borrow one from a games library. If you damage a game or component during a session, please note that you are expected to pay on the spot the store price or Kickstarter price of the full game and take the damaged game home.
- We play at the Outpost Brussels (our main sponsor) and we expect that you will order drink and/or food to support them and us in return. It is only fair as you will play for free with our group.
- No-shows are frowned upon and may lead to your removal from the group if no adequate reason is provided. Especially for Afterwork Sessions, one person not showing up might spoil the game for everybody!
- Late-cancellations (= cancelling less than 24 hours before the event) can also lead to removal from the group if it occurs repeatedly, as it will often be hard to find a replacement at short notice.
- Please switch on "Who can contact you on Meetup - Anyone on Meetup/Member of my groups only" so that table hosts can contact you when necessary. This can be done in Settings -> Privacy.
Upcoming events (4+)See all
- Afterwork Session: Dead ReckoningOutpost Game Center, 1000 Brussels
Dead Reckoning is a game of exploration, piracy, and influence based in a Caribbean-esque setting. Each player commands a ship and crew and seeks to amass the greatest fortune. They do this through pirating, trading, treasure hunting, and (importantly) capturing and maintaining control over the uninhabited but resource-rich islands of the region. During the game, you will:
- Explore of the sea
- Customize your ship
- Train and specialize your crew
- Control the islands
NOTE: This game has multiple mechanics with a lot of details, I would advise anyone joining to watch the rules video, in any case I will explain the rules before the game
- Afterwork Session: El Grande (New Edition)Outpost Game Center, 1000 Brussels
In this new edition of the 1995 award-winning game, up to 5 players take on the roles of Grandes in medieval Spain. The king's power is flagging, and these powerful lords are vying for control of the various regions. To that end, you draft caballeros (knights in the form of colored cubes) into your court and subsequently move them onto the board to help seize control of regions. After every third round, the regions are scored, and after the ninth round, the player with the most points is the winner.
Area majority, hand management, and action drafting are key elements of this quintessential game!
How to play video (old edition but still helpful): https://youtu.be/1AJ4dYv0TvE?si=gwzH9PyAS3ajJ0Lt
- WEEKEND SESSION : COÏMBRA@Do's place , Bruxelles , AL
If you are sick or at risk, please do not come at the event.
video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1U0JGqXU4
In the 15th and 16th century, Portugal is thriving under its leading role during the Age of Discovery. Nestled in the heart of Portugal, the city of Coimbra serves as a cultural center of the country. As the head of one of Coimbra's oldest houses, you seek to earn prestige by deepening relationships with nearby monasteries or funding expeditions of the era. To reach this goal, you must vie for the favors of the city's most influential citizens, even if you must offer a bit of coin or some protective detail.
Coimbra introduces an innovative new dice mechanism in which the dice players draft each round are used in multiple different ways and have an impact on many aspects of their decision making. While there are many paths to victory, players should always seek to optimize their opportunities with every roll of the dice. Combined with ever-changing synergies of the citizens, expeditions, and monasteries, no two games of Coimbra will ever be the same!
- Weekend Session: Disney VillainousOutpost Game Center, 1000 Brussels
In Villainous, each player takes control of one of six Disney characters, each one a villain in a different Disney movie. Each player has their own villain deck, fate deck, player board, and 3D character.
On a turn, the active player moves their character to a different location on their player board, takes one or more of the actions visible on that space (often by playing cards from their hand), then refills their hand to four cards. Cards are allies, items, effects, conditions, and (for some characters) curses. You need to use your cards to fulfill your unique win condition.
One of the actions allows you to choose another player, draw two cards from that player's fate deck, then play one of them on that player's board, covering two of the four action spaces on one of that player's locations. The fate deck contains heroes, items, and effects from that villain's movie, and these cards allow other players to mess with that particular villain.