addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Boston Biotech Message Board › 17 year old transhumanist, M.I.T hopeful.

17 year old transhumanist, M.I.T hopeful.

Thomas C.
user 11724198
Delray Beach, FL
Post #: 2
Hi, I'm Thomas Carney, a 17 year old high school senior and transhumanist. I can never understand the limitation placed on progress by misconception and inactivity, and peoples inherited view of “accepting the way things are” I have in mind many fantastic, life altering, and seemingly revolutionary ideas that would appear to the common outsider as “mad crackpottery” But why? We have traveled to the moon, we have captured the power of electricity, we cut open the human skull and removed a tumor- as a species, we constantly push the assumed limits of scientific advancement beyond imaginable points of the previously generation.

Fields related to bioengineering (such as nanotechnology , cognitive sciences, gene therapy, etc) are of primary interest. These are sciences are anything but conventional- but this is exactly what I find so attractive...I suppose I've been a huge fan of the "unconventional".
Bionanotechnology is probably my ultimate interest, and is what I plan and studying in university, up to the doctorate level. I actually published an article on neuronanotechnology, and I'm currently researching to write another.
I love reading articles on how nanotechnology can one day regenerate cells and fight disease, this one day, slowing the aging process. Biotechnology is far more than just a career or job, but a potentially world changing development, one which I would like to be a part of.
I applied to M.I.T this year actually, hoping to study those evry things, but unfortunately, was not accepted. A shame, because I think M.I.T is the perfect place to study nanotechnological life extension (and because boston is awesome! go red sox!)
So anyway, I'm trying to get into contact with some professors associated there, so I can build up a resume for transfer/ reapplication. I'd also, in general, like to extend my position in the scientific circle.

Considering the scientific nature of this group, are there any M.I.T affiliated members here?

My email:
thomasfrancis117@gmail.com

Thanks!
Jamal
user 63478882
Somerville, MA
Post #: 1
I'm much more impressed by people who are actually studying life extension technologies than those who seem to be into a kind of "science hype" but who don't study and get jobs in biotech, they just talk about it! I think it is best to focus on practical goals while keeping all the wonderous stuff in mind too. I'm glad you are taking classes, and I hope it will amount to something practical and real! The reality of biotech is likely to not be as romantic as we would hope, but I am sure there will be a lot of great stuff to work on.

I want to check out the Biotech classes at Harvard Extension School and Middlesex Community College. (Much cheaper than MIT biotech classes I am sure)

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/courses/subject/biotechnology­

http://www2.middlesexcc.edu/academics/academic-departments/natural-sciences-homepage/biotechnology.html­