addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Boulder Mountainbike Alliance Message Board › New Member Intro's

New Member Intro's

bruce f.
user 9486069
Longmont, CO
Post #: 2
Group I'm Bruce and I moved here 15 months ago from right outside NYC. Got a mountain bike October 2009, and enjoy rides with the group and ride a lot in Lyon's, Rabbit, Hall and Hiel.
One of my favorites is Picture rock, it's EZ for the first 3 miles after that it more difficult and when you reach the top at mile 5.5 you can pick up wild turkey (it's the back side of Heil ranch). The bike park in Lyon's by the high school is also fun and from there you can ride quickly to picture rock
Can't wait for the group to start riding again and would love to ride up north after our rides we could have a snack and/or beer at oskar Blues which is less than a mile away

hope you all like these ideas and CYA soon
Devin P.
user 9522935
Denver, CO
Post #: 24
Good thing I logged on to see Bruce's post pop up on the home screen... had no idea this section was here.

Anyway, I'm Devin. I've been in the area since Aug 08. Before that I was at mammoth mountain for 3 years, and grew up just south of Washington DC. I prefer mostly Downhill, but can do crosscountry stuff, but using a freeride bike, I'm often on the slow side of the group.

My schedule varies, but is fairly open since I'm in school and not working and my class schedule is all over the place. So could be up for a ride most days of the week.

Also, if anyone needs help with maintenance or suspension work, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Devin
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi there! I'm Julie and moved here from Dallas 4 years ago. My first ride here was Chimney Gulch - a cruel trick my now-husband played on me while we were courting! Since then, he's also dragged me up Rabbit Mountain, Heil Ranch, and the "new" connector (super-fun!!!) to Hall Ranch (I think).

When we went to Moab the first time, he decided a good starter ride for me would be Porcupine Rim. It was challenging for sure!! I haven't ridden PR since, but am a repeat offender of Slick Rock - in fact, we got engaged on one of the scenic turn-offs somewhere along the trail! Yes I did marry him after all that.

I LOVE riding Fruita for the packed dirt, twisty-turny, quick ups-and-downs! I finally discovered Dowdy Draw last year, and it's currently my favorite local ride. Reading all your posts, I realize I have a lot more trails to discover and look forward to exploring them. I work from home so I have a pretty flexible riding schedule.

I'm an Intermediate XC rider on a 9-year-old hardtail that is way too heavy. My husband's encouraging me to upgrade, but I'm very emotionally attached to my Trek...
Sharon Harvey A.
user 10713795
Boulder, CO
Hi. I'm Sharon. I've lived here a long time and have been riding for years, although I ride at a fairly gentle pace... (anyone else out there like that?) Love mountain biking, live sort of near Marshal Mesa so that's a quick out and back for me, as is Dowdy Draw (my current fav). After years of deliberation (and a fun Bridgestone MB1) I recently purchased a new full suspension mtn. bike. I'm giving the he clip in pedals a try, but they have me traveling really slowly over anything rough as I find it quite scary... How do you ever get used to them?!?! I'd love to find some folks who don't mind taking it easy on anything in the area. Can ride mid mornings a couple days a week, and sometimes in the evenings, too. Thanks.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hello, I'm Shawn and I live in Golden.
I have been mnt biking for a little over a year (May '09). I ride a lot so i feel like I'm a pretty good rider, but struggle on tech stuff. My favorite local ride right now is Centennial Cone, riding from Mayhelm's Gulch. I have had the opportunity to ride 2 weekends in Crested Butte. It was awesome!! The 401 and Deadman's loop were the best rides EVER. I plan on doing a few out of town ride this fall maybe Fruita, Aspen, and a winter trip to Moab sounds fun. I have a few friends to ride with but find myself riding solo alot so I want a larger riding group. i am a single father of 3 kids which makes my time i can ride a challenge, but i have a very easy work schedule to ride around.
Alonna S.
user 13198878
Boulder, CO
Hey everyone, I'm Alonna. My husband Ben and I just moved to Boulder from Boise, Idaho (Oct 2010). We love mountain biking - and I think it's even more fun with a fun group.

My only ride in Colorado so far is Hall Ranch - so I'll go with that as my favorite! Moab is probably my favorite place in the world, and now that we live closer we'll definitely be heading that way more often. Also hoping to check out Fruita a bunch as well.

I'd say I'm intermediate XC rider. I like getting a good workout on the uphill so I feel like I've earned the downhill. I don't mind a little bit of technical stuff, but if I don't like the looks of something I'll just hop off an walk. I ride downhill at a snails pace... I like to go slow and carefully choose my line. For this reason I like groups who are laid-back and don't mind waiting occasionally. Let's make a deal - I'll wait for you on the uphill if you'll wait for me on the downhill! And if you have to wait for me both directions, well, just bring a camera enjoy the scenery :)

I'm up for weekend rides anytime and also weeknight rides after work. I work in SW Longmont and could probably make it to a trailhead by about 6pm for a quick ride before sunset.
---
@Julie - I love that you got engaged on Slick Rock! I wish I could get engaged again (to the same guy, preferably) and have it be there (ours was good too though - the top of Targhee on a snowboarding trip). I also rode a Trek hardtail for 7 years before I caved and bought a full suspension (a used Specialized FSR XC on criaglist). Best decision ever. If you haven't already upgraded, you definitely should bite the bullet - you won't regret it!
A former member
Hello group. I'm hoping to get into mountain biking next summer, so I thought it would be worthwhile to check out this group and see about joining a ride or two. I'm a novice and would want to ride with others of the same skill level. I've been riding bikes all my life. Dirt bikes, then mountain bikes, so I can handle myself well on a bike and I think my learning curve will be steep. My current bike is an inexpensive Gary Fisher hardtail.

I've lived in Colorado off and on since I was 3 years old. I enjoy Colorado very much and can't imagine living anywhere else. I go camping here and Moab a lot during the summer, so I'll be balancing that schedule with my MTB schedule. But, I have my kids on weekends, so most of my rides will probably be after work on weekdays. If I really start to enjoy this or get good, I'll probably buy a full suspension bike, but for now I'll be riding what I have, despite it's shortcomings.
A former member
Hi All,

My name is Kyle. I just joined the group but have been keeping an eye on the message board for the past 4 months or so even though I have not been to a meetup yet (shame on me!). Anyway, I am a biking fanatic. During the summer I ride pretty much everyday unless the weather is bad. During the week I usually hit up the local trials and on weekends I go downhilling. Last year I got the Keystone pass which I plan to renew and hit up Solvista and Winterpark occasionally with discounted tickets. My favorite trail to ride in the area is Betasso (so flowly...) followed by Heil in a close 2nd. I would say I am a advanced rider that leans toward the aggressive all-mountain/downhill arena and will typically put in 6+ hr, 30+ mi rides on weekends. However, I am no xc racer, I prefer to enjoy the ride and put my effort into pinning the downhills and enjoying the singletrack. I have been to Moab, Fruita, Pueblo, and everywhere in between and have a wealth of knowledge about bikes, bike parts, where to buy these at discount prices (Jenson or Pricepoint) and info on local trails even though I have only been here a year now. So if you need advice, just ask! Pinkbike.com is my life, it gets me through the winter without going insane from not biking (much) and I moved from NH last year explicitly for the biking and microbrews.

Mainly, I would like to find people to carpool with this summer for downhilling and maybe riding at Valmont bike park when it opens. If you ever want to ride, just drop me a message, I'm bound to be going somewhere. Also, no meetups this last month? Come on, who wants to do some snowbiking at the ski mountains, I want to try out some of their rentals!
Molly
user 4630829
Boulder, CO
Post #: 35
Hello Boulder Mountain Bikers!
I am fairly new to Boulder although have lived in Colorado for the past 15 yrs or so. Originally a Vermont girl. I enjoyed mountain biking while living in Vermont and then in Summit County. I changed my focus to marathon running/ training and road triathlons for awhile. I had to sell the road bike for my dogs surgery....
I decided this year to replace the road bike with a mountain bike again and the goal is to enjoy the beautiful trails around Boulder and beyond. In addition adding off road triathlons to the mix.
Looking forward to getting out with this group!
Molly
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Everybody! I've been mountain biking since the days of under the chain stay roller cam brakes (yuk). Started riding in upstate New York and worked as a bike mechanic all through high school and college at CU. I was even a Bridgestone retro grouch ...underbar ain't wunderbar =). Its just as much a passion now as ever. Up until this season I was riding a 10 year old Gary Fisher. I took me a while to adopt the new techology obviously but now I'm on a Santa Cruz Blur LT with disc brakes for the first time! What a difference, and the suspension these days...plush city. So happy there's a group like this to meet some other MTB nuts, find new trails and share adventure stories. See ya out there.