addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Xárene
xarene
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Can anyone address this: http://news.bbc.co.uk...­
I haven't come to terms with the self being contained in the brain. I like to subscribe to the kind of ideas that provide another space of existence, outside of this body and what we perceive as reality... secular ones of course. So 'findings' such as what is in this BBC post confuse me and I'd like to hear more from both sides.

Anyone?
A former member
Post #: 15
hard pill to swallow, huh? Imagine you getting hit hard on the head, there's a good likelihood you'll lose consciousness and all thinking goes poof. Likewise, disrupting certain regions of the brain may cause one to act in ways that he would not otherwise had that part of the brain been left intact/untouched. In a pure physiological sense, what is disrupted are: a) the way neurons interact with each other, or b) the way neurotransmitters (the chemicals in the brain that signals the next neuron to act) are ignited/suppressed, or c) both.

It's a bit simplistic, I know. When it comes to beliefs and morals, both the environment and the brain structure are constantly at play. Our society (environment) may teach us right from wrong (moral values which, by the way, depend upon which society (environment) you belong to), but then, despite all of its teachings, an individual may inadvertently throw that asunder because of genetic (brain structure) predisposition to, e.g., schizophrenia.

Re the self residing outside of the brain: that's open for argument and, has been the subject of argument since time immemorial. I'd like to agree with you that there is a higher self beyond the physical, but in some ways, I am, at this time, a prisoner of my brain and my environment.

By the way, how are you? It was nice meeting you at the Damasio dinner.