addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Brompton Bicycle Club Message Board › Brompton vs Other folding bikes

Brompton vs Other folding bikes

A former member
Post #: 7
I'm assuming this meetup is open to owners of all folding bikes, so I'm curious, what led you to Brompton? Are there folks with other brands like Dahon or Citizen in this meetup? I realize Brompton may be the only brand you can try out at a local store. Is this the case?

Regards
Tim F.
user 14106393
Vienna, VA
Post #: 1
I've owned both Dahons and Bromptons, and as a shop mechanic and now owner, I can say I've seen, ridden and/or worked on just about all the major brands of folders out there, as well as some of the more obscure ones. Every folding bike (and every bike, really) is a set of compromises. That said, for me, the Brompton has the best combination of the features that are important to me in a folding bike. It folds quickly and easily into a small, compact package that is easy to carry, transport, and store. The folded size is even small enough to fit into luggage that is under airline's "oversize" limits. And it does all of these things while also being a very lively, fun, and enjoyable bike to ride.

Of course, everyone is different, and has different needs and likes. My advice if you're shopping for a folding bike is to try as many as you can, and see which one best fits what YOU want. Ride them, fold them, carry them, etc., and see what works for you.
Charmaine
user 8271731
Group Organizer
Hyattsville, MD
Post #: 1
Hi Vik - actually, I'd like to keep this Meet-Up group for Brompton owners/riders, at least for a while, and see how it goes. smile

I previously had a Bike Friday Tikit, which has its pros and cons...but after a couple of years of riding/folding/rolling it, I felt the Brompton was a bit of a better bike in a few ways. So I traded in my Tikit for the Brompton.

Charmaine
A former member
Post #: 63
Having owned a Brompton - which I took on a tour of the US the in the very week I bought it - since December 1989 I have gradually migrated to having it as my main bike.

I nearly bought a Brompton in 1980 (from that first 400) but possibly unwisely bought a Bickerton instead.

The great thing about Bromptons is that the support and spares fit bikes right back to the 1988 machines (ie the Mk 2's) and will also fit Mk 1's. Sometimes a design change means a part is slightly different, but the compatibility remains. Show me a 1989 Dahon that you can still get spares for. his actually makes for some very ecelectic and individual bikes often a Mk3 set of handlebars and forks, sitting in a Mk5/6 main frame (with the improved hinge and longer wheelbase).

What you do with the bike is very much an open canvas - I ride 1 speed with a coaster brake/hydraulic brake combination, and steel 'bars and cranks, others go totally OTT with gears, and as for colours - there's the official 2-colour split and then the rainbow of using a different colour for each part of the frame.

Brompton is about being different but the same as a cycling church. (Critical) Mass anyone?