What we're about
Welcome to Buck Gully Hikers, a Corona Del Mar-based group of social, active locals. We're looking forward to your joining us for an early morning hike soon. As this is a new group, your astute recommendations, helpful suggestions, and charming dispositions are all thoroughly appreciated by your fellow Hiking Fools.
Recognizable Face Photo Requirement: a FACE Photo posted up on your application as a requirement for your approval into this group.
Buck Gully is where we hike, and it's such a cool, peaceful piece of Urban Wilderness...right here in Corona Del Mar, and a very well-kept secret! The City of Newport Beach and the Irvine Ranch Conservancy officially (re-)opened Buck Gully with an improved trail system in May of 2012. The Buck Gully Reserve includes 300 acres of lush wilderness that is part of a 10-year restoration project and miles of trails to walk, run, hike and bike.
Active Outdoors People: Wouldn't it be great to have more regular hikes and hiking partners, locally, right here? Please sign up and join us. Trails, trees, a year-round stream, wildlife...it's all awaits you in the City of Newport Beach. Additional hike postings by our Members at nearby locales are always welcome.
Current Hike Schedule: Our hikes are currently scheduled to start at 7:30am on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Saturdays of each month on a repeating basis, all subject to Organizer availability and whim. Additional days, times -- and even locations -- to be determined...
Approval of Applicants: For health and safety purposes, please complete our brief questionnaire, and have a recognizable FACE photo (selfie) posted, as a requirement for your approval and participation in this group. Realize that YOU are willingly participating in an inherently hazardous activity at your own risk. Also, again, a recognizable Face Photo is required for Approval.
• Local NOAA Weather Forecast: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Corona+Del+Mar&state=CA&site=SGX&lat=33.6023&lon=-117.865#.VLF65NLF-So
• Volunteer to help with habitat restoration efforts through the Irvine Ranch Conservancy, here's their link: http://letsgooutside.org/volunteer/
• OC Register Story: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/trails-356581-trail-city.html
• City of Newport Beach - Online "Buck Gully" Link: http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=2213
• Buck Gully "Good Neighbor" Educational Brochure (downloadable pdf): http://www.newportbeachca.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=15328
• Downloadable Buck Gully Trail Map: http://nbgis.newportbeachca.gov/gispub/recreation/walkingtrails/images/buck%20gully%20trail.pdf
• Newport Beach Recreation Facilities Link: http://nbgis.newportbeachca.gov/gispub/recr...