addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Buffalo Hiking Club Message Board › My sabbatical

My sabbatical

Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
I am taking a short sabbatical from leading hikes because of arthritis in my hips and knees.  I have to undergo one more treatment option short of a hip replacement.  If I don’t need a hip replacement I could be back on the trail as soon as February.  If I need a hip replacement, it may be several months as the operation probably wouldn’t take place until early next spring.
In the meantime, I hope that Rebecca, Susan, Cecilia, and anyone else willing to lead a hike, will continue to post and lead those excellent hikes and snowshoes.  As always, if anyone wants to repeat a hike we have done or a hike on the December 31st list, please feel free to do so.  If you need help planning the hike, or revising a partial bushwhack to eliminate the bushwhack portion, just let me know.  I will create some generic hikes as guides and then post them under the suggested tab for anyone who wants to use them to lead a hike.
I will also cross-post some of the hikes from the Foothills Trail Club and Finger Lakes Trail Club.  Please note, however, that after hiking twice with those groups as a non-member they expect you to join the club if you intend to continue to hike with them, which I hope everyone would do anyway..  I’m looking forward to getting this issue resolved and getting back on the trail as soon as possible.
Gary
A former member
Post #: 61
Sorry to hear that you will be taking a (short) sabbatical from hiking. I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed that you will not have to undergo a hip replacement, as you would be taking a bit longer of a sabbatical away from the hiking.

I will continue leading hikes on Sundays and hopefully even schedule some shorter hikes for Saturday afternoons.

Take care of yourself and hopefully we'll see you on a trail somewhere real soon!

A former member
Post #: 2
Sorry to hear that, hope you can avoid surgery. Hope to meet you on a future trek. I will try to lead some gentle hikes after the Dec. 4 outing. cool
Angie K.
user 51500112
Erie, PA
Post #: 5
Take care of yourself, enjoy Thanksgiving and lets hope this treatment is successful. Keep us posted on your progress
Maureen A
user 24506112
Kennedy, NY
Post #: 193
You have a wonderful group (or subjects)who awaits your return like a long- lost king :)
A former member
Post #: 17
We all miss hiking with you, Gary! However, your health must come first. Hopefully, your doctor can fix you up good as new and we'll be hiking together before you know it.
After all, the puppet regime was never intended to be a replacement of your regime...just a rogue offshoot. :)
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 238
The combination of my son's last day in town on his holiday visit, and the predicted 6 to 8 inches of fresh snow in the Springville - Arcade corridor, and a new steroid prescription, was too much to resist.

So off we went for a late morning hike in the Erie County Forest.

The plan was to park at the Middle Road entrance, take the dog and my son for a short snowshoe hike to the cabin, have some hot instant apple cider, relax a bit, then return.

But...about 200 yards from the cabin I couldn't resist the urge to walk off into the woods and so we did, going on a 2 mile bushwhack in which we encountered some difficult blowdown to get around. We did stop at the cabin for that hot apple cider, returning to the car about 3 hours and 3 miles after we had started.

Here is what I found out:

1. The new prescription helps, but is not the answer.

2. I can still bushwhack 3 miles on snowshoes despite the arthritis but that is not goof enough so I'm now more committed than ever to getting the hip resurfacing.

3. Our weather reporters in WNY are incompetent. There was enough snow to make snowshoes usable, but not enough to make them necessary, except in a few portions of the off-trail areas.

4. Having a son named Nick and a dog name Mick just means they both have an excuse for ignoring me - "I thought you were calling for him, not me."

More Photos at this link

A former member
Post #: 7
Yea Gary, you didn't spend the day in a recliner! Did it ever arrive?

Dr. Repicci is very good a rebuilding hips, he did my wife's and it's fine now but, if yours only needs "resurfacing" we could do that with one of my wood sanders and save a lot of money. We could recoat the surface with some high gloss paint or something.

When I call my son "here Nick, here Nick" he ignores me too!
A former member
Post #: 19
Gary, thanks for the update! Get the hip fixed so we can see you on the trails soon!
My kids and dogs often ignore me too, and they don't even have similar names! :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 239
Yea Gary, you didn't spend the day in a recliner! Did it ever arrive?

Dr. Repicci is very good a rebuilding hips, he did my wife's and it's fine now but, if yours only needs "resurfacing" we could do that with one of my wood sanders and save a lot of money. We could recoat the surface with some high gloss paint or something.

When I call my son "here Nick, here Nick" he ignores me too!
I did get the recliner Chuck - it was very comfortable after that hike. It's a power recliner with infinite recliner positions because it has separate motors for the back and seat. It also has pre-programmed Zero-Gravity and Trendelenburg positions. One of the few I could find that came in a tall configuration rather than a "Big and Tall" - I like having my arms supported by the chair arms - the "big and tall" chairs are too wide for me. It'll be a great aid in my recovery, and a comfortable place to relax both before and after that.

A "resurfacing" reshapes the hip ball and caps it with a prosthesis and replaces the socket with a metal prosthesis . It is designed more for younger athletes because it allows for a larger range of motion, ability to continue impact activities, and less likely to dislocate than a hip replacement. It also leaves the leg bone intact so a total hip replacement can be done at a later time if needed. But it requires a much larger incision and much longer and more difficult recovery - the old rule was that it was only performed on those who "could take it" and had a reason to go through the added recovery, but advances have made it more appropriate for us older athletes as well.

I could get a hip replacement next week, but only a few do the resurfacing, and even fewer that I would trust. The earliest evaluation appointment I could get is in late February, and if the doc agrees to do the resurfacing after that appointment, it'll be another month or so to schedule the operation. Although I don't want to wait that long, it makes sense to be in recovery from the operation in the spring rather than mid-winter.