addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Buffalo Hiking Club Message Board › Missing the trails ...

Missing the trails ...

A former member
Post #: 1
Thank heavens I have this web site to keep me at least linked to my passion - hiking. On April 16 I received "the gift of life," a kidney transplant. The surgery went well but it was touch-and-go with the new organ, as it came from a 22-year-old man who had been on extended life support after a massive brain bleed. As such, his blood circulation was poor and the organs took a hit. Usually, both kidneys suffer equally in these situations but for some reason mine took the brunt, and it was several days before we knew it would even work. Then, 2 weeks after the transplant I endured emergency surgery for an unexpected abdominal bleed that had totally enveloped the new kidney and was exerting harmful pressure on it. Since then I've developed a severe infection in the wound and have had to have aggressive and intensive treatment. In the weeks since that second surgery I've lost much strength and stamina, and I can only imagine when I'll be back on the trails again. When the yearning gets overwhelming I log on here and am inspired by my fellow BHC members. You all are hiking for me and you give me the encouragement I need to not give up and to take baby steps. I will be back!
Gary
WNYTrails
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 259
Thanks for updating us Cindy. Hopefully the rest of your recovery will progress with fewer setbacks, and you will get back on the trail soon. How long is the expected recovery time before you can hike again?

Feel free to join any of the hikes as a virtual participant while you recover. We won't count your lack of actual presence as a no-show, and that way you will get emails for all the updates and comments for any individual hikes you join.