addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Wesley D. Y.
user 6127759
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,059
DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS "ICONS" SERIES ---

This delve format is summarized as "old-school with new tech". It uses streamlined 4th edition rules to re-create old modules.

There has been an unmistakeable opinion about the 4th edition of D&D in this group. Regardless of your opinion of 4th edition though, I decided to give all my 4th edition products a bit of love, and introduce a new delve format that I think is pretty fun and exciting. It combines HIGHLY-streamlined 4th edition rules, classic D&D monsters, and an old-school feel for the game that should remind you of classic D&D.

In other words: It isn't really 4th edition.

The main features of the format are these:
- Uses 4th edition rules as a BASE, upon which a VERY compact, streamlined, and flexible ruleset is constructed. Specifically, the Essentials line of products have been used. "Powers" are virtually eliminated, as are feats, and there are no "healing surges" - just simple mechanics and healing potions.
- In keeping with the old-school feel, only the four iconic classes of Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, and Mage will be used in most cases. Up to 8 players will be allowed, and the PCs are almost always pre-gens. The pre-gens are tightly-constructed, and everything is so streamlined that the entire character sheet can potentially fit on just half a sheet of paper. All bonuses that a PC has will be compacted into a single bonus that the player adds to her attack rolls. (Example: A "Combat Power" that adds 1d6 of extra damage to a blow is just added as a base +1 damage to all attacks. Over time it equals-out.)
- The basic core mechanics of this simple system are based on old-school gameplay & imagination. Players describe what they want their characters to do, and the GM adjucates and decides what skills to be used, just like in the old days. Failing saving throws usually means death, as does falling to zero HP.
- The centrepiece of the entire system is the adventures themselves: They will be classic modules from all eras of the D&D series. Such utter classics such as the ORIGINAL "Tomb of Horrors", or the famous "Temple of Elemental Evil". All modules will be divided-up into delve-sized sessions, with each one being self-contained. If you attend each session in a module-series, you'll have pretty much done the entire adventure.
- The modules will NOT be exact 1:1 replicas of the originals, but will endeavor to convey the feel and original intent of the adventure. Tweaked and re-skinned 4th edition monsters will be substituted, as well as the traps, etc. If you want 100% authentic AD&D rules and modules, check the RPG meetups and message boards for a different group.
- A nice visual system will be employed, utilizing tokens for the monsters, old-school paper fold-ups for the PCs, and 3D props and 2D tiles.

This series of games is a good fit for those want to play a good, solid game of D&D without having to buy a single product or rulebook; for those with limited time to play; and for those wanting to experience the feel of old-school adventuring without having to try and locate a group using older D&D rulesets. It is also an EXCELLENT format for those who are new to RPGs, or relatively new.

The first module to be run is a 1st-level Basic D&D module called "The Lost City". In it, a group of adventurers explore a long-lost city that is situated in the midst of a vast expanse of desert. You must quickly find food, water ... and just survive the first few rooms! The module was listed in an old issue of Dungeon magazine as one of the top 30 best modules ever created, and it contained enough supplementary material to actual form a campaign around it!

The only things left up-in-the-air about this new format is the when of it. If you have an interest in playing in this format, please let me know what days and times you would be available. The most popular day and time will most likely become the schedule. =)
Mark K.
user 7494885
Group Organizer
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 951
I'd like to see this in action.

How about Saturday Afternoon at baldy. We seem to have an open timeslot there.
Kevin B.
Turlock
Medina, NY
Post #: 124
I'm definitely interested. Saturdays are good, however, I sometimes am at work until 1:30pm so it would have to be around 2:30pm or after.

Kevin B
Kevin B.
Turlock
Medina, NY
Post #: 125
Wes....

Not sure if you're taking requests for classes but, if you are, you can pencil me in for one of the Fighter slots. As if you didn't already know that would be my first choice. <Coughs> Ah...Turlock...ahem!! =)

Speaking of the old school iconic classes, I have before me, my copy of Men & Magic - Volume 1 of the three booklets from the original set of rules from D&D. Yep, long before the Red Box or Blue Box sets there was The White Box (or the faux wood grain box if you have the first printing of the original rules). Just for the sake of nostalgia, I thought I'd list some stuff from the Men & Magic booklet.

The choice of character classes were vast and varied.... provided you chose either Fighting-Men, Magic-Users, or Clerics.

The main racial choices available were - Men, Dwarves, Elves, and Hobbits. However, the rules allowed you virtually any race choice for your character.

The Fighting-Men class was available to any race. The Magic-Users class included only men and elves. Clerics were limited to men only.

Some quotes from Men & Magic included the following:

"Dwarves: Dwarves may opt only for the fighting class, and they may never progress beyond 6th level (Myrmidon)." (Page 7)

"Elves: Elves can begin as either Fighting-Men or Magic-Users and freely switch class whenever they choose, from adventure to adventure, but not during the course of a single game. Thus, they gain the benefits of both classes and may use both weaponry and spells. They may use magic armor and still act as Magic-Users. However, they may not progress beyond the 4th level Fighting-Man (Hero) nor 8th level Magic_User (Warlock)." (Page 8)

"Hobbits: Should any player wish to be one, he will be limited to the Fighting-Men class as a hobbit. Hobbits cannot progress beyond the 4th level (Hero),..." (Page 8)

"Other Character Types: There is no reason that players cannot be allowed to play as virtually anything, provided they begin relatively weak and work up to the top, i.e. a player wishing to be a Balrog would have to begin as let us say, a 'young' one and progress upwards in the usual manner, steps being predetermined by the campaign referee." (Page 8)

Finally, the choices for character alignment were Law, Neutrality, or Chaos.

I actually remember one of my characters, back in the mid to late 70's, was an elven character. It was kind of cool at the start of a game to tell the DM, "Ahh, I feel like casting spells this evening so I'm gonna have him be a Magic-User." OR "I think I just want to shoot arrows and swing a big sword so I'm choosing a Fighter for my character tonight."

I thought posting this would be an amusing read for some folks. Not sure if many reading this will remember playing while using these rules but it's still neat to see how D&D was played back in the day. Enjoy....
Shawn M.
ShawnMerwin
Fredonia, NY
Post #: 101
Ah, good times! :-)
Dan S
user 7059326
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 40
Cool Concept. Not sure if I'll be able to attend regularly, but I dig the idea. Best of luck in this!

It may or may not be useful, but check out the latest article in Dragon on the WotC website about 0-level characters; perhaps it's something you might like to incorporate?
Wesley D. Y.
user 6127759
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1,066
Okay, I think I'll just schedule it on the calendar sometime and see what sort of response I get...